Silly Idea for Dispensing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RolandD

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know this idea is silly and impractical, but it's a fun and intriguing thought experiment to me.

What modifications would it take to turn a water cooler into a kegerator?

Top loader? Bottom loader?

Discuss!

Hmmmm

I don't think water coolers are designed to hold pressure and have a chilling reservoir vs. a refrigerated area for the bottle.

With that said: (Simpler is almost always better.)

A bottom loading water cooler requires a dip tube into the water bottle and is pumped or uses a very small amount of pressure to force it to the reservoir and from the reservoir is then dispensed.

I would think you could place a keg and CO2 cylinder in the bottle storage area. Replace the refrigerated receiver with a small pressure cylinder say 2 litre depending upon how much room you had. In this case just change out the cheapo tap with a picnic tap. You then you have a non-chilled keg to a chilled "mini keg" that when dispensed would auto fill.

Have you looked at these? Used them at some beer fests, don't see why they couldn't be a homebrew fixture..

OK, could not for the life of me figure out how to edit on my phone.. I was going to point to the lindr taps
American distribution is here https://tapyourkeg.com/ when you compare it to a kegerator the cost doesn't seem so bad.

Hmmmm

I don't think water coolers are designed to hold pressure and have a chilling reservoir vs. a refrigerated area for the bottle.

With that said: (Simpler is almost always better.)

A bottom loading water cooler requires a dip tube into the water bottle and is pumped or uses a very small amount of pressure to force it to the reservoir and from the reservoir is then dispensed.

I would think you could place a keg and CO2 cylinder in the bottle storage area. Replace the refrigerated receiver with a small pressure cylinder say 2 litre depending upon how much room you had. In this case just change out the cheapo tap with a picnic tap. You then you have a non-chilled keg to a chilled "mini keg" that when dispensed would auto fill.

Or, you could enlarge the cold water reservoir and install a SS coil to cool your brew as it flows to the tap.

Or, imagine a top loader with a lightly carbed brew with a CO2 injector right before the tap.

Really just a thought experiment, totally impractical.

On a similar note, has anyone ever turned the water dispenser on a fridge into a beer "tap"? Asking for a friend...

i'm not sure, when i use it, only the first glass is cold.....a better question would be, could you turn the ice machine into a freeze concentrator! ;)

Back