Signs of Old Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
I bought a 55 lbs sack of Marris Otter grain from my LHBS in October 2014. I haven't used it at all, so it is still unopened in the original sack. I've kept it stored in my basement which is normally cool and dry (60-65 degrees), however it does get some humidity in the months of June and July where it might get up to the low 70s.

Is it likely good enough to use? I'd hate to waste it, but I'd also hate to put effort into brewing with substandard ingredients.

If I open it up is there any way I can visibly tell if it's not worth using (other than if I see a pile of mold growing all over it?).

Thanks!

yup taste it. its should be nice dry and crunchy not chewy. Its probably fine. Get it in some sealed buckets.

It's probably OK, unless it has been sitting on a concrete floor, where moisture can seep in. Ditto on the sealed containers. Plastic buckets with Gamma Seal lids, or pet food containers.

Back