Sierra nevada bigfoot open fermentation time lapse.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a little scary actually... Like a tamed lion or something, never knowing when it will turn on you.

I think it's funny this old video (from 2009) is now making the rounds on Reddit/Digg and here.

:shrug:

Considering it was posted to youtube yesterday its not that surprising

No idea that's what the YouTube page he put lists. Jan 2 2014

It's no big deal. SN made the video back in 2009, they probably just now added it to the company youtube account.

I wasn't able to watch the new one because work has youtube blocked. Notice they're the same video, but SN just changed the intro text lol... I remember the one I posted going around on my homebrew club's forum when it was first released.

That was amazing to watch. How many times did the krausen rise and fall? Three?

Traditional open fermentation. Most of us worry if our lids won't perfectly seal. Do you suppose the ventilation in the brewery has an air scrubber of some sort? Is it a "clean room"? I've never had that brew, are the makers wanting wild yeast to jump in?

Very curious about this open fermentation method.

I would doubt the use of an air scrubber and thats not like any clean room I have ever seen. Maybe well sealed at the doors with a good set of normal hvac filters. Another option is to design the air system for positive pressure to help push junk out when a door is opened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

That was amazing to watch. How many times did the krausen rise and fall? Three?

Traditional open fermentation. Most of us worry if our lids won't perfectly seal. Do you suppose the ventilation in the brewery has an air scrubber of some sort? Is it a "clean room"? I've never had that brew, are the makers wanting wild yeast to jump in?

Very curious about this open fermentation method.

The instructions with the first beer kit that I bought suggested using a white plastic garbage pail for a primary, covered with cheese cloth to keep the fruit flies out. Transfer to a 5 gal. bottle after the krausen has fallen. Made a reasonably good cream ale back in 1976.

The instructions with the first beer kit that I bought suggested using a white plastic garbage pail for a primary, covered with cheese cloth to keep the fruit flies out. Transfer to a 5 gal. bottle after the krausen has fallen. Made a reasonably good cream ale back in 1976.

I think we're on a similar page. After I got over the airlock activity worry I never much cared again about it. Important thing is keeping decent fermentation temps and start with an optimal yeast population. Not to say sanitization is not paramont.

But before I understood that; came my first brewing experience 20+ years earlier

First beer a friend and I ever made was in Antarctica somewhere around 1994. We bought a brew kit In ChristChurch New Zealand on our way to "The Ice".

It was prehopped LME, some dry malt extract and a pouch of unknown dry yeast. Our heat source for the water was a big SS coffee pot we borrowed from work. We heated the water. Poured it into a plastic carboy, like a Better Bottle with a faucet attached, added the lme and dme. Capped the bottle and took turns shaking it to dissolve the ingredients.

Im not sure we waited for the wort to cool. It probably was coffe pot hot water to begin with and dropped quite a few degrees with thr extract additions
Then we poured in the dry yeast. Shook the carboy a little more to get the yeast mixed in. Put an airlock on it and stuck it under our barrack's sink. We didnt have a hydrometer nor did we have a clue that one was required... The beer fermented under the counter for probably 2-3 weeks in 65 degree ambient air temp. We had no idea that was a fairly decent temperature

So a number of weeks go by. We had some nice bubbling for a while out the airlock. I dont remember when it started or when it stopped but gurgling was strong for awhile. It was really, really, cool. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Home Brew mobile app

Back