SIAP: Bottling sugar for Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schenkel

Reaction score
I am sure there is a thread about this already but i haven't found it...

I am looking to bottle a 5 gallon batch of a sweet stout--coffee and chocolate notes. Does anyone have any recommendations for the bottling sugar to add? I have only ever used corn sugar (4-5 oz). Should I use this again? What are my other options and what will it do to the flavor?

Thanks
Pat

in general, yes, you should use dextrose (corn sugar). table sugar (sucrose) can impart a cidery flavor (i'm not sure how much that would happen with 4 oz of it, but don't push your luck). you could also use honey, brown sugar, and others, but just go with dextrose, it's kinda the standard. in theory, you should weigh out the sugar depending on what temperature your beer was when it finished and how many volumes of CO2 you want in your carbonated beer. you can find all that info at howtobrew.com if you are interested, otherwise, the 4-5 oz should get you in the right ballpark.

Latest posts

Back