Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....I've been bottling for 15 years this kegging is all new to me. Any recommendations? Thanks!!

LINK

^^^ Good read. I made the switch to EVA Barrier and I don't regret it. It's nice not having to flush the few ounces of beer out of the lines because it went stale if I haven't pulled a pint in a while.

I haven't found much in writing either, but heard a few things on Brulosophy podcasts that I've incorporated that seem to work. Here is pretty much everything I know about kegging:

1) After cleaning, and also checking all of the connections, fill the keg with sanitizing solution, seal it and leave it for a few minutes, including a few minutes upside-down.
2) Connect CO2, and run the liquid line into a fermentor or something else that wants to be sanitized (so's not to waste the solution).
3) Turn on the CO2, and blow out the sanitizer until gas instead of liquid comes out of the liquid line. You can use low pressure if you want to go light on your CO2 usage and don't mind it taking a while.
4) Remove the liquid line and let the CO2 pressure build a little bit in the keg.

This leaves you with a sanitized, oxygen-free keg. When I have a batch ready to keg, I'll connect the outlet of the fermentor to the liquid in on the keg, and run a line from the keg's CO2 connection to the top of the fermentor. Then, let the CO2 pressure in the keg push the beer down the liquid line into the keg. This allows for an oxygen-free transfer.

Sorry if this is too far OT... I was actually reading this thread because I'm getting ready to build a new kegerator...
Any info helps so thank you very much!

Also as a tip, if you have a spray bottle of soapy water, you can use that to find leaking co2 fittings (ask me how I know). I went through 2 5lb bottles last weekend before finding my insanely slow leaks.

Another thing....

Those stainless tea ball infusers are great at keeping all the small parts of your taps and disconnects together when you're cleaning. I usually hang mine inside my small 2 gallon kettle of PBW/BLC that I use when I'm recirculating cleaner/sanitizer through the beer lines.

Another thing....

Those stainless tea ball infusers are great at keeping all the small parts of your taps and disconnects together when you're cleaning. I usually hang mine inside my small 2 gallon kettle of PBW/BLC that I use when I'm recirculating cleaner/sanitizer through the beer lines.
Got a regular size one and a giant size one. Thanks.

I saw that. It's just a magazine. I read a few reviews that said save your money. I still may get it though. Have it on WATCH at EBay. Thanks!

What exactly is being sought in regards to kegging? Kegging isn't an overly complex item. Clean parts, replace the gaskets when needed, replace the relief valve when needed, sanitize, fill and pressurize to the desired levels of CO2 depending on what's desired and the temp of the liquid.

What exactly is being sought in regards to kegging? Kegging isn't an overly complex item. Clean parts, replace the gaskets when needed, replace the relief valve when needed, sanitize, fill and pressurize to the desired levels of CO2 depending on what's desired and the temp of the liquid.
Taking all the parts off, putting them back on in the correct place. I'm a retired nurse not a mechanic or engineer. Can you properly use an IV machine? Collect all the necessary items to collect and hang and administer blood? Calculate correct dosage of a given med based on wt and age category? Chances are, if you never studied to be a Dr, EMT or nurse you can't..not without having reference books. And that's all I'm saying. Nice to have a reference if you've never done something.

Taking all the parts off, putting them back on in the correct place. I'm a retired nurse not a mechanic or engineer. Can you properly use an IV machine? Collect all the necessary items to collect and hang and administer blood? Calculate correct dosage of a given med based on wt and age category? Chances are, if you never studied to be a Dr, EMT or nurse you can't..not without having reference books. And that's all I'm saying. Nice to have a reference if you've never done something.

IMO you are over thinking things. Kegging isn't medical or rocket science. One doesn't need mechanic or engineer skills to keg our brew. Do it once and you'll know how to do it. Really not much different than changing a light bulb.

Don't have a good current photo. Firs tone is fairly recent but you can only see part of it. I was racking wine at the time, taking a photo of that.
Second one is what it looked like when I was first setting it up, with only 1 tap and no temp controller yet.

It's not pretty, but it keeps the beer cold :)
No space in the house for this, so it's in the garage.
20191103_004133.jpg

20191002_210809 (1).jpg

Lol absolutely right. My apologies to the Show us your Kegerator powers that be! [emoji108]

No problem. Just post up some pics when you're done. ;)

I regularly go back and scroll through to look at all the setups. One can get some great ideas on what direction to go or if they are wanting to redo their setup for whatever reason due to what they saw here.

No problem. Just post up some pics when you're done. ;)

I regularly go back and scroll through to look at all the setups. One can get some great ideas on what direction to go or if they are wanting to redo their setup for whatever reason due to what they saw here.
I will. PBW, tap cleaners and brushes, keg float tubes came today, ball lock sockets coming tomorrow. Should be able to start putting it all together!

Finally finished building mine so here ya go.
It's a Hotpoint 9.4 freezer. I did epoxy over the top of the bottle caps and chalkboard paint in the middle. Easily holds 6 kegs and a 20# CO2. I have a second regulator in there, that is for my force carbing all the rest run off the other one. I custom made and welded the frame and casters so it is easily moved around for whatever reason.

IMG_20200204_123135.jpg
IMG_20200204_123157.jpg
IMG_20200120_144925.jpg
IMG_20200118_172814.jpg

Finally unboxed the Arctic King kegerator. Fits a 3 and 5 gal keg no problem and my 7 gal stainless fermenter for lagering. This is just the beginning! Gonna lager a batch of helles before I connect 2 tap tower and lines and everything else! Hip hip hooray!! Thank you Mrs wifey Claus!!
20200217_122158.jpeg
20200217_120458.jpeg

Are you saying there are literally bugs in your sour? I don't know much about them but my brother is really into them, and I just recently started looking at recipe's. JW if that is literal or something different, and if that's normally the case or in yours since you're using barrels =)

Microbes, aka bugs.

I've bought numerous types over the years and added dregs from commercial sours that I liked.

I like the tap handles! Where did you get them, or did you get them custom machined?

I make them. Solid Stainless Steel. Message me if interested.
You did a great job! I made simpler tap handles already using 3/4" 303 stainless hex stock, so I'm set. I appreciate it though!

Good gawd! That is some serious selection. Very impressive.
Glad to see you chained your CO2, but a 5 pounder? How often do you need to replace? Ever consider a 20?
I could be wrong, but that looks like a 20 pounder to me. I had a steel 20 lb CO2 tank for some planted aquariums for a few years and that appears to be the same size.

This is my 60 year old kegerator. Runs like a freakin champ! Picked it up for $100 from Craigslist. Was kind of a challenge getting down the stairs, but well worth the effort! There was one tap in it and I added the second. Tapper handles and chalkboard made by me. The gremlin is there to protect it from beer thieves!
20200409_164241.jpg

20200409_164212.jpg

20200409_164221.jpg

20200409_164321.jpg

Back