Show us your electric brewing rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally use a small (2 gallon) dedicated shop vac to suck up the last of the water & any last bits of grain.

Ahhhh... I like the sound of that. My shopvac is a huge stainless steel monster... bigger than the sanke... but a tiny brewvac might be something I can consider.

Yeah, I guess I could do that.

I used the new MLT on monday for the first time, and what I did was pull the tun off the table and dump it into one of those huge plastic storage bins. Then I carried that out back and dumped it. Didn't lug the whole MLT back there.

Forgot to mention... I don't think I would try to suck all the grain out of the MT with a shop vac... I've used them to empty a pool sand filter, and I have to believe the hose would get clogged pretty quick.

Also, when I have scooped out enough grain, I lay the MT on it's side and finish emptying it like that.

Ed

As old as you are Ed i'd look into a "Tippy Dump" design. We'll have snow down to sea level one can freeze their coconuts off.

lol... Thanks BB.

Actually, I thought about a tippy dump, but using kegs, I'd still have to deal with grains getting caught in the top rim/skirt when dumped.

I use a pretty good sized scoop that I have to measure grain... I can empty my MT in nothing flat.

Ed

Ahhhh... I like the sound of that. My shopvac is a huge stainless steel monster... bigger than the sanke... but a tiny brewvac might be something I can consider.

Posted this in another thread yesterday. For $20-25 you can get a 5gal bucket shop vac. Who doesn't have 5 gal buckets laying around, esp with this hobby?

I scoop grains out with basically what is a big ice scoop into a grain bag (with a plastic liner) and then take it out that way. I also dump my hops into this bag after boil. I have an inverted keg for a mash tun and i just remove the false bottom screen and can rinse right out the bottom into a bucket the remainder. No grain in the rim or handles. No moving. Very Easy. Just finished control box and brewed Tuesday. Will get some pics soon.

Here are a few shots of the rig set up for brewing and then the storage cabinet that keeps everything out of swmbo's way.

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

Here are a few shots of the rig set up for brewing and then the storage cabinet that keeps everything out of swmbo's way.

Is that a little giant 2-MD pump?

Is it working out well for you? Their temp rating is low, but I've always figured that for mash circulation, they are probably A-OK to use.

I use a larger 240v version of that pump for everything including recirculating boiling wort and it works like a champ.
2010-07-29202620.jpg

2010-07-29221654.jpg

I don't know if it's leaking toxic chemicals into my beer, but does everything my March 809 does with massively greater pressure and flow.

Here's mine. Pretty simple setup with herms. Boil and hot liquor are
on seperate 30 amp circuits and pid controls. Two 5500 watt elements.
No fancy disconnects just hose barbs but I dont have to disconnect anything untill I chill through the 50 ft counterflow that is inside the cabinet. I use the bucket vac to suck out the spent grain and I cip everything then disconnect all the hoses.

brewery 008.jpg

brewery 009.jpg

brewery 006.jpg

brewery 010.jpg

Nice use of the workbench; did you have it before you started brewing, or did you get it specifically for your gear?

Thanks. Yes I got it 15 years ago from costco. I used it for my model trains untill I got on here and needed a stand. Works great with all the draws. Still need a stainless top made.

that is a little giant 2-md...got it from ebay, before looking at temp rating thinking that the reviews for the little giant carried over to all little giants...the first impeller failed, the first brew, but i feel like it was a bad part, and replaced it for about $18. The total cost including the new part puts it right at $55, and so far it has worked great for the last brew which was a simultaneous 6 gallon trippel, and a 12 gallon, slightly modified version of Yooper's house pale ale, with both recirdulating wort during mash through the main boil kettle, and no problem even though I was a little trepidacious about the some of the additions that had to be at my boiling point which is 195.5.

The cabinet is a lot more full than it looks now, due to the other two vessels for my smaller batch system, and there are always fermenters going too...

fermchamber.jpg

I started this thread so long ago, but finally got around to setting up phase 1...I don't have any 240 yet so until I run a spa panel I just created a 120v boil kettle with two camco 2000w elements, each running on a dedicated GFCI circuit. It reaches 170 in about 30 mins and boils in about 50 mins.

All business up front....

Of course, that's a BobbyM sightglass/thermo!

Party in the back...

The elements

Weldless bulkhead and diptube combo from Bargainfittings. 2 Camco 2000w elements from Home Depot.

Welcome to the world of electric brewing...rust after my first 'wet' run.

Anode ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some shots of it most recently... This is all electric with three elements, two pumps.

brewery.jpg

I proudly submit my "Beer Machine" as my eldest daughter calls it. A lot of inspiration came from the Kal's first posts of the Electric Brewery. For a stand I bought a steel rack from Lowes and added casters which makes it real easy for storage. I did drill and bolt the rack to the legs instead of putting my trust on the plastic ones. I've put about 15 batches through and have been very pleased with the system. Since I power the panel on 110 and I control the 240 to the SSR's via a contactor, I can get the system filled, pumps on and ready, and use an old school light timer to fire her up. I brew early in the morning so I have the rig come on at 5am, and around 6 I head down to mash in.

Here's a picture or two
DSC_0279.JPG

Up close shot of the coil and pumps
DSC_0281.JPG

"Flananuts Beer Machine"

I proudly submit my "Beer Machine" as my eldest daughter calls it.

More pics/details on your ventilation there! What size is your keg opening and of the ducting cone you have over it? What fan are you using (including cfm), duct size, how it terminates out of the basement, etc!

This is the best pic I have for the ventilation. It's totally portable so it goes to sleep when the beer machine does too. Opening is approximately 12".

From HVAC supply, not mcmaster
1 6" 530 CFM inline exhaust fan from ebay $80
1 12" - 6" reducer
1 6" rigid pipe
1 6" 90 deg. rigid duct elbow
1 6" 45 deg. duct elbow ( this is mounted in a board I put in my basement window and can remove when done.
Regular flexible dryer vent pipe to connect to the fan

CoalCracker said:
What are the plans for v2?

I'm wanting to move the rig to the kitchen so I plan on hard piping and a vent hood. Going to take it all apart, seal everything, repaint, and look for prettier kettles.

I posted before, but have upgraded quite a bit since... I suppose the next step will be getting the control panel built... Right now, it is electric, but manual :)

brewstand2.jpg

This is v4.0 of my brewery.

6392580357_919407a3da.jpg

Here's a link to additional pics, including various notes on the components.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33275630@N08/6392580357/in/set-72157628123075865

It has evolved over the last 4+ years from a single electric BK into an e-HERMS. Most of my design decisions have been driven by what I could dumpster dive at work, pick up from the local scrap yard, or had on hand from other projects (e.g. the wooden control box). I suppose I also have a bit of a paranoia-driven obsession with being able to easily see all the surfaces of the brewery to confirm cleanliness (e.g. no hard-plumbed pipes), with the one exception being the interior of the CFC. This picture and subsequent images in the set are of brewery v4.0's maiden voyage, which was much more chaotic than it is these days.

A feature I really like about my setup is the dual-purpose CFC (i.e. HERMS heating and wort chilling). Re-using the CFC saved me from needing to install a coil in the HLT. I don't bother to directly control the MLT inlet or outlet temps as both are dictated by the HLT temps and flow rate. I keep track of them, but haven't found a reason yet to include them in a control loop.

I'm currently tinkering with how to do an effective hot whirlpool in my BK with a bottom drain and an electric heating element. The wort and hops recirculate well, but don't pile up quite as nicely as I'd like. If none of those ideas pan out, I suppose v5.0 will feature a dedicated whirlpool tank.

Ok, just one teaser picture with my panel wide open (being the slut I am)...

IMG_6681.jpg

I'm working on writeup for this portion of the site now...

Kal

I am late to the show, however, I cam across this thread with the intent of starting my own project....After Kal's post, I no longer saw a need to continue past page 2. Geeze.

Simple single vessel BIAB system, no sparge, RIMS, plate chiller, PID for mash temp control, manual override for boil. Mash, boil, recirculate through the plate chiller then pump into a corney. Attach spunding valve & ferment under pressure in the corney. Counter pressure rack to serving corney.

dscn16721-55670.jpg

dscn16731-55671.jpg

Check out my link below. Kal clone with some mod's.

I went back and as i was looking at your build i thought..." damn, thats some nice woodworking for a Steelworker"

I cant imagine what mine would look like if i tried wood. I should be done with my panel and picking up tubing next weekend for the stand.

Great job gary

I went back and as i was looking at your build i thought..." damn, thats some nice woodworking for a Steelworker"

Thanks, I cant imagine what mine would look like if i tried wood. I should be done with my panel and picking up tubing next weekend for the stand.

Great job gary

With wood I just use different tools. The hood and the grain mill were the most difficult but not that bad over all. Just takes time. Hope you get your going soon!:tank:

Latest posts

Back