Show us your electric brewing rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bsbherms06.JPG

Nice rig!

How do you like the Blich FB?

I am still a bit new to this--so sorry for my ignorance...

What is the vertical pipe with the yellow wire on the left hand side of your pic? Not sure if I can totally 'read' your setup from the pics.

Edit--Oh wait--is that actually a heatstick?

Hey Mike,

Any closup pics of how you installed/wired the elements to the kettle (the one without the heatstick)

Thanks

how you installed/wired the elements to the kettle
It's your basic weldless setup, stainless nut on the inside and a couple silicone washers on the outside. A pvc coupler filled with liquid plastic covering the connections.

Whole hops only (not pellet) I would assume?
Yea I only use whole hops. Just easier for me.

Mike

My brewery is fairly simple/cheap, but I'm more than happy.

img2286small.jpg

My HLT is a (New) rubbermaid 20 gallon trash can, food safe. with a 5500W element, sight glass made from vinyl tubing, the thermometer gives off an alarm when I'm at temp. A cheap pump from HF keeps the water moving to ensure an accurate temp reading.

MLT is basic converted false bottom keg, If I need to do step mashing I have a heatstick.

BK has 3800W element, works great for 5 and 10 gallon batches, originally had the 5500W in it and was too much.

Here is a few pics of mine, its hard to get a good shot of the whole setup cause my room is only 6 feet wide.
p1000917k.jpg

p1000911o.jpg

MLT
p1000912i.jpg

HLT
p1000913i.jpg

BK
p1000914v.jpg

Control panel
p1000916n.jpg

I hit a button and switch a couple hoses around and the rest is all computer controlled, hoping to upgrade to touch screen soon.
p1000918w.jpg

Here is a few pics of mine, its hard to get a good shot of the whole setup cause my room is only 6 feet wide.
p1000917k.jpg

Nice setup!

If I can offer one comment with the risk that I understand that I may be called an 'electrical code' nazi :)))...

Having two electrical outlets and an unsealed control box between your boil kettle and the vent hood is just asking for condensation/electrical safety issues...

You may be aware of this and choose to go ahead, but I just wanted to point that out to others...

Kal

Nice setup!

If I can offer one comment with the risk that I understand that I may be called an 'electrical code' nazi :)))...

Having two electrical outlets and an unsealed control box between your boil kettle and the vent hood is just asking for condensation/electrical safety issues...

You may be aware of this and choose to go ahead, but I just wanted to point that out to others...

Kal

I didnt even really think about that, I had my bro in law, who is an electrician, wire it all up for me. He was obviously thinking about all the beer i was going to pay him with, instead of safety that day. I was planning to Sheetrock that wall pretty soon i might have to move a few things around. I haven't had any issues with condensation or moisture yet, but better safe than sorry.

The Honeywell "box" is a xl15c plant controller used in hvac building automation. It has 8 analog inputs, 8 digital inputs, 8 digital outputs, and 6 analog outputs. I can run the brewery, fermenting fridge, and the kegerator with that one controller. You can get free software to program it but I am using a web interface to program it. This is all stuff I got from work. I can actually access it from anywhere and turn it on. It's nice to start heating the water before I get home. I just fill it up and turn the pump on to make sure everthing is flowing nicely and then turn everything back off.

Here is mine, sorry for the bad pictures.. Narrow basement.

2010-11-05205841.jpg

2010-11-05133710.jpg

These were taken tonight while doing my first double brew day.. hit all my numbers.

I can actually access it from anywhere and turn it on. It's nice to start heating the water before I get home. I just fill it up and turn the pump on to make sure everthing is flowing nicely and then turn everything back off.

Remote start brewing....sweet. Thanks for explaining that!

Here is mine, sorry for the bad pictures.. Narrow basement.....
These were taken tonight while doing my first double brew day.. hit all my numbers.

CoalCracker, Can you give us more details on your setup....or a build link if you have one? Curious how you are handling this with only two vessels? I may not be fully understanding your setup.

Thanks!

Here's what you do with zero electrical knowledge. A simple, electric setup controlled with ranco's. The control box is a 4 wire setup I bought online.

DSCN3100.jpg

Passedpawn is correct!

We are in the final stages. Almost complete. We brewed a 5 gallon test batch last saturday.
The Custom SS stand was built by my neighbor, he's a fabricator among other things.
20 gallon Blichmann boil kettle, 15 gallon mash tun, and at the bottom, a 15 gallon HLT
The BK and the HLT are both set up with 5500w elements, so they can be swapped out for larger or smaller batches. The RIMS is 4500w. It's all fed by a 50a ground fault receptical.
The temp sensors are from Derrin at Brewers hardware as is the RIMS tube and tri clamp fittings.
It's all controlled by a BCS, but can be controlled manually with the 'switches' box.
The electronics were built by Boerderij Kabouter. Thanks buddy!
Also many thanks to Kal, and his exelent Electric Brewery website for the element mounting ideas, and much more.

Back