Show me your HEAT STICK!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I will grab a hot rod and toss my sketchy heat stick, but reuse the $40 12ga extension cord I bought to build it. Hoping the 2000 watt doesn't trip my breaker, my current piece is 1500 watts. I use it to minimize my propane usage for heating strike and sparge. Sometimes I use it to help get it to a boil, but usually let propane do all the work for that stage.

Great product Bobby.

Good notes. The two fender washer trick will work for pots that don't have any kind of rolled top lip, but I need to figure out a less invasive solution for a wider variety of pots. Honestly, this is really the reason the price is as low as it is. I'm selling the first 50 at near break even pricing because although the business end of the unit is fully up to my expectation, it's not a mature product in my mind without a universal mount.

On the crimp terminals... it definitely helps if you put a bit of a bend in the ring terminals for the element connection so that the wires are not jutting out directly to the side walls of the housing. I think I bent a 45 degree in them with a pair of needlenose pliers. Shrink the heatshrink on after bending.

I did not bend my ring connections but it worked perfectly nevertheless. It WAS a tight fit. I may pop it open and bend them a bit as you suggested however before my next brew day.

Ok bbohanon I went with the 2000w element on your advice just placed my order looks like a great product way better than I was going to build:D

Ok bbohanon I went with the 2000w element on your advice just placed my order looks like a great product way better than I was going to build:D

You will love it! It's a thing of beauty. Post some pics when you get it all rigged up!
:mug:

any idea when these will be back in stock? I would love one since I brew outside in Mass. I could hear strike water with the garage closed then use it to help get to boiling.

Here's my two 2000W "Hot Rods" from Brewhardware.com
I love these things.
Thanks Bobby!

image.jpg

You'd have to go to brew hardware to see if he has any in stock but they are awesome!!! I did a small extract batch just to test run it WOW these crank! One of my best homebrew investments.....awesome product by brew hardware :D

image.jpg

I am new to brewing, 4 batches complete. Started with 1 gallon stovetop batches and moved my operation outside where I am brewing 5 gallon extract batches. I love brewing outside, that is until I brewed in less than ideal temperatures. The steam from the kettle paired with the below freezing temps had me running around the garage like a mad man. The only thing missing was the Benny Hill theme music.

My questions (for 5 gal batches):

1) Can I achieve a rolling boil with 2000 watt element or should I go larger with a 5500 watt element?

2) Is there a way to add a temp dial control? Something like this

3) Is the HotRod Heat Stick Hardware the best option for electric brewing without drilling holes into my pot?

I still like the idea of having my main brew station outside for the warmer months, I'm looking for a cheap and easy solution for moving my operation to the basement for the winter months. All recommendations are welcome. Just go easy on me with the terminology, I'm new to brewing and even newer to electric brewing.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Cheers,
Matt

I'm new to brewing, 1 completed batch thus far. I do my brewing in the garage but with the winter months upon us, I'm looking to move my operation to the basement. The steam from the kettle and my west facing garage sets up for a sucky winter brew day.

My questions, for 5 gallon batches;

1) Will I achieve a rolling boil with a 2000 watt element or should I upgrade to 5500 watt? (I have the wiring to handle both)

2) I'm not wanting to drill holes into my pots just yet. Is the HotRod Heat Stick Hardware my best option for a drop in heat source?

3) Is this a good option for controlling the heating element? StillDragon

Thanks for your responses in advance. I'm eager to fire up another batch so all recommendations, tips, and tricks are welcome. Go easy on me with the terminology, I am new to brewing, even newer to electric brewing. :)

Cheers,
Matt

Matt,

2000w might squeak by a for five gallon batch depending on your kettle and ambient temps. It will be slow!!!! You may need to boil with the pot partially covered. If you HAD to do it I would guess you could, but far from ideal!

The hot rod is an excellent product.

4500 or 5500 will work very well! Even 3000 would work fairly well.

The still dragon unit is a good basic unit to adjust the power manually. A pid used with temp sensor allows automated temp control for a few bucks more but is more involved.

Thanks for your recommendation wilserbrewer. About how much of an investment am I looking at for basic pid?

Back