Should you top up everytime you rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmingapple

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

My two apple wines seem to be progressing nicely (glad to have made it this far).

My first wine has been racked once and it appears the yeast have dropped significant sediment once again and I am thinking it is wise to rack again soon. Since a bit of volume is lost upon racking -- is it okay for me to top up everytime using 100% apple juice? Or should I be doing something else?
***I was unable to get ahold of proper marbles to make up for volume, so that is not an option at present. I also realize adding water only waters it down.

Lastly, I am thinking - maybe I pass on racking and skip to the bottling stage (my wine will be one month aged in about 2.5 weeks or so).

Hi everybody!

My two apple wines seem to be progressing nicely (glad to have made it this far).

My first wine has been racked once and it appears the yeast have dropped significant sediment once again and I am thinking it is wise to rack again soon. Since a bit of volume is lost upon racking -- is it okay for me to top up everytime using 100% apple juice? Or should I be doing something else?
***I was unable to get ahold of proper marbles to make up for volume, so that is not an option at present. I also realize adding water only waters it down.

Lastly, I am thinking - maybe I pass on racking and skip to the bottling stage (my wine will be one month aged in about 2.5 weeks or so).

If you top up with apple juice, fermentation will restart. If fermentation restarts, the wine will start to drop a ton more lees. Which means you'd want to rack. And then if you top up with apple juice, fermentation will restart. And so on.

Use some white wine, commercial is fine, to top up if you have a bit of headspace. If you have a TON of headspace, rack to a smaller container. That's really the only way to ever get a finished wine, as if you keep adding fermentables, it will never stop.

If you have a lot of lees right now, and it's only been a short time, wait a bit before racking. You can go 45 days or so with thick lees, assuming fermentation has just ended. You don't want to rack too often and have the same issue when some of the lees will compact down with a little bit of time.

That's really the only way to ever get a finished wine, as if you keep adding fermentables, it will never stop.
Welllll....it will EVENTUALLY stop, when the yeast have exhausted themselves and have reached their alcohol tolerance (and one will have a mighty strong wine....), but, yeah, ferment is likely to restart in many cases.....I'm of the rack to smaller fermentor school....I have 2 x 6.5 gal buckets, 3 x 5 gal carboys, one 3 gal carboy, 4 x 1 gal jugs and a 3 qt jug....can usually mix and match no problem :)

I can't say I have smaller vessels at this point as I am working with 1 gallon batches!

Thank you Yooper. I do recall you mentioning this before and I know this is an option but the nearest liquor store is out of the way and I don't drive. Nor do I have "spare wine" hanging around often... if ever (it disappears upon discovery, every time, without fail... seriously!)

But all good advice, thanks! I really need to obtain marbles it appears.

If you top up with apple juice, fermentation will restart. If fermentation restarts, the wine will start to drop a ton more lees. Which means you'd want to rack. And then if you top up with apple juice, fermentation will restart. And so on.

Use some white wine, commercial is fine, to top up if you have a bit of headspace. If you have a TON of headspace, rack to a smaller container. That's really the only way to ever get a finished wine, as if you keep adding fermentables, it will never stop.

If you have a lot of lees right now, and it's only been a short time, wait a bit before racking. You can go 45 days or so with thick lees, assuming fermentation has just ended. You don't want to rack too often and have the same issue when some of the lees will compact down with a little bit of time.

Well this is kind of my thinking. I have the patience... but how long generally till the yeast are done, done and I'm home free (if going this route)??

Welllll....it will EVENTUALLY stop, when the yeast have exhausted themselves and have reached their alcohol tolerance (and one will have a mighty strong wine....), but, yeah, ferment is likely to restart in many cases.....I'm of the rack to smaller fermentor school....I have 2 x 6.5 gal buckets, 3 x 5 gal carboys, one 3 gal carboy, 4 x 1 gal jugs and a 3 qt jug....can usually mix and match no problem :)

Well this is kind of my thinking. I have the patience... but how long generally till the yeast are done, done and I'm home free (if going this route)??

Maybe 18-19% ABV which will take years to mellow out as it will be rocket fuel for the first few years. That's why it's not a great idea, plus it will take forever to finish and clear and get ready to bottle. It's not a good way to avoid racking losses.

Top up with some water if you can't get a bottle of $3 wine to hang onto for topping up.

Thanks Yooper! Just wanted to make sure it was viable!
Wow rocket fuel remains as is for some time... amazing!

Maybe 18-19% ABV which will take years to mellow out as it will be rocket fuel for the first few years. That's why it's not a great idea, plus it will take forever to finish and clear and get ready to bottle. It's not a good way to avoid racking losses.

Top up with some water if you can't get a bottle of $3 wine to hang onto for topping up.

I've gotten into the habit of making extra in primary, putting the excess into smaller jugs to either ferment or freeze. Then you have extra to use for top up. No dilution. The freezing option probably isn't the greatest if it's not fully fermented yet, but I save a mason jar in the freezer of 2/3 fermented. Will this be a prob;em if I add it to a fully fermented rack?

Back