Should I use stored DME/LME for this brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themanc84

Reaction score
Caribou Slobber extract kit came with my Northern Brewer starter set a couple of months ago. I didn't want to brew a brown ale so I left the DME and LME unopened in the box and I put the yeast and hops in my fridge.

The malt extract has been sitting at room temperature for about 2 and 1/2 months. I did some research on here and it seems that most people store their LME in the fridge, but does this apply if the container was never opened?

I don't want to apply the effort to brewing a beer that's not gonna be the best it can be. Should I move on from the Caribou Slobber or use the stored ingredients that I've been holding? Thanks

Northern Brewer has a high turnover, so the LME should have been fresh when it left there. If you don't know how fast your LHBS turns over their LME it could easily be older than what you have even if you went and bought some today. At LHBSs I usually see the LME on the shelves at room temperature.

So it is up to you to decide whether what you would buy to replace it would be any better.

Back