Should I stir up the brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLoBaLReBeL

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if I should stir up my Stone IPA brew I have. Its only been like 3 days, but I know the yeast I have is a high fluctuating yeast and it falls out pretty fast of suspension.

Should I swish it around at all or even just gently swish around the trub/yeast with a sanatized metal coat hanger?

I am still getting air bubbles in the air lock tho. But I want to be safe and make sure that the yeast do their job entirely :)

Only a hydrometer can answer this question. The most active phase of your fermentation may even be finished.

Though gentle stirring may not harm anything, but it could oxidize your beer or introduce unwanted bugs.

so, give it another 3 days, check the gravity and see where I'm at. If its still a little high, give the bottom a nice little stir and then see where that leads?

They don't need your help to find the sugars, they can swim fine on their own...and at this point since you DO have beer in there, you run the risk of oxidyzing it.

Stepaway_copy.jpg

I pitch my yeast, and come back a month later to bottle, and so far the yeast have done fine on their own. ;)

If you had a glass carboy you could see that right now the yeast are moving around like they are in a blender on low speed.

I ferment in buckets, too. Sometimes I make an extra large batch that won't quite fit in a bucket. I take the leftovers and fill a half gallon liquor bottle or two. A Rebell Yell bottle makes a cool looking little fermentor with a rubber stopper. I have even brought one to work to show my coworkers what fermenting beer looks like.

After your beer quits bubbling like crazy, pour the liquor bottle in your primary.

If you had a glass carboy you could see that right now the yeast are moving around like they are in a blender on low speed.

I ferment in buckets, too. Sometimes I make an extra large batch that won't quite fit in a bucket. I take the leftovers and fill a half gallon liquor bottle or two. A Rebell Yell bottle makes a cool looking little fermentor with a rubber stopper. I have even brought one to work to show my coworkers what fermenting beer looks like.

After your beer quits bubbling like crazy, pour the liquor bottle in your primary.

I'm fermenting in a glass carboy. It was DEF fermenting like crazy in the beginning (first 24-36 hours) Now, it is all sitting at the bottom but still producing Co2 so it must be doing its thing. I really hope I didn't oxidize the beer when I swirled it around the day I pitched the yeast (waited like 4 hours and no activity so I swirled it around a few times.)

I think it will all turn out for the best. I'm going to go ahead and brew another beer next weekend to get two going at the same time. Better to do them now then wait till later and forget everything again!

Oxidation can only occur post fermentation. The yeast will use up the O2 and/or be pushed out by the CO2 production. Ur fine.

Not to say ignore previous advice or that I even do this, but rousing yeast is a common practice in some English breweries. You can find commercial examples of every practice - both the ones promoted and the ones vehemetly opposed.

Whether you roused it or not, don't worry relax yadayada yadayada homebrew

Thanks everyone. I'm going to just let it sit for a week or two before I check it for a gravity reading. I'll be brewing more next weekend anyway. I love these forums!

"I really hope I didn't oxidize the beer when I swirled it around the day I pitched the yeast (waited like 4 hours and no activity so I swirled it around a few times.)"

I doubt that will cause any problems. A lot of folks, including me, feel that oxidation is an overrated issue unless you plan on storing the brew for a long time. My batches seldom hang around long enough for oxidation to be an issue.

I really hope I didn't oxidize the beer when I swirled it around the day I pitched the yeast (waited like 4 hours and no activity so I swirled it around a few times.)

U need to be more patient and not worry about no activity. It is actually a sign of more healthy yeast if they don't start showing signs of fermenting right away. Lag time sucks. Next time, pitch late in the day then let it sit and do it's thing while you sleep. When you wake up the next day there will be activity.

The yeast know what to do. They've been around a long time. As long as you have treated them right they will give you beer. :mug:

Back