Should I rack my sour beer to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternBrew

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first sour beer using wyeast 3763 roeselare blend. It just finished primary fermentation. I was wondering if I should rack this into secondary; which is something I don't usually do. Would I possibly be removing enough of the lambic cultures that it would take years to get any noticeable sourness?

Should I be worried about autolysis in a beer that's going to have a strong sour flavor anyway? Or is sitting at fermentation temps for a year going to make every last one of those yeasties turn on each other in a last ditch effort to survive and give a noticeable off flavor?

I'd love to hear from someone whose used roeselare before.

Thanks

What type of beer is this? Flanders style of some sort? That's primarily what the Roeselare blend is for.

Flanders reds and browns are usually transferred to a secondary vessel after the bulk of fermentation is over. Lambics are kept in the same container the whole time. Other sour types depends upon how you mean for it to end up.

You'd probably get a better response in the "Lambic & Sour Ales" forum. Post your question over there.

Thanks GuldTuborg, Yeah it's a flanders brown ale. Sounds like I should move it to secondary, but I just posted it over in the other forum so we'll see what they have to say.

Back