Should I expect exploding bottles? (kinda long)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganu

Reaction score
Last night I racked my first batch. It was a wheat ale that my lhbs called their house wheat. When I bought the DME, kit, instructions etc, I was given 5 oz of corn syrup for priming.

Everything's rocking pretty smoothly (considering it's my first brew) and, like I said, I begin priming and racking last night. I boil my priming sugar, add it to the bottom of my racking bucket, siphon my beer into it, and begin bottling. ***When I'm finished bottling I realize that I have quite a few empties left and no beer to put into them. I only had enough beer to bottle 37 12oz bottles.***

Here's where I likely came up short. When ever I would check my gravity to ensure that I was finished with fermenting, I would discarded (drink) the beer I'd drawn out. I didn't want to return the beer back into the primary and risk contaminating my whole batch.

From my gravity checks I know that I removed 1 liter's worth of beer, but that's still a good ways off from the 10 or so bottles that I'm short.

Regardless of the cause, I'm still left with the problem that I've over primed my bottles.

Again, I have 37 12oz bottles that are filled to 1.5-2 inches below the lip of the bottles. The 5 whole ounces of sugar was supposed to go into 5 gallons, but my 37 12oz bottles puts me right at 3.5 gallons.

My word, what to do? If these were flip-top bottles I'd certainly try to "bleed" off a little pressure (by purely guess-timation) but these are regular caps.

Any suggestions?

Back