Should I bottle or keep waiting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkartoom

Reaction score
My weizen has been in the primary for 12 days now and it looks like I have hit my FG of 1.011-1.013. Looking at the surface of the brew I still see some bubbling action, which I assume means fermentation is still going on. Should I wait until it stops or go ahead and bottle considering my gravity at this point?

Also, the bottle priming directions they gave me was for corn sugar, but the kit has 5oz. of powdered priming sugar (dextrose). Would I just stir that in gently as it is or is there a procedure for prepping it?

Thanks

Wait longer on bottling. Longer is better, give the yeast time to clean up.

3 weeks is a general minimum for me.

The priming sugar you want to boil in some water then add that solution to the bottling bucket when you bottle, be sure it mixes thoroughly.

I say this a lot but, I always wait until its clear before moving from primary - it just seems to cut out so much hassle for a little patience!

Thanks. The recipe with the kit had the whole primary/secondary process completed in about 10-11 days, but I know things can vary. I'll give it more time and keep lifting the lid looking for the fermentation to stop. It's definitely still active.

Kits tend to cut as many corners as possible in my experience - one of mine suggested bottling 7 days after fermentation begins. Youre better off taking a little time with it and doing things right - it'll make a good beer great.

When you say lifting lid I assume it's in a bucket?? Be careful letting out the co2 and letting in "bad" air.

When you say lifting lid I assume it's in a bucket?? Be careful letting out the co2 and letting in "bad" air.
Yeah it's in a bucket and I was a little worried about that. I left the lid off once for a few minutes before I knew better and lately just long enough to get a reading sample. It looks, smells, and tastes good, so hopefully I will be ok.

Kits tend to cut as many corners as possible in my experience - one of mine suggested bottling 7 days after fermentation begins. Youre better off taking a little time with it and doing things right - it'll make a good beer great.
Although I'm a bit anxious to get it bottled and start the countdown to drinking time I certainly don't want to rush it and waste effort. Today's sample does seem to taste better (less bitter) than it did a few days ago and the color looks a bit nicer, although the latter could be my imagination.

They have a saying around here...lol..RAHAHB or some variant...
I just did my first Imperial kit, bubbled like every 2 seconds for about 2 weeks. I let it go another week and bottled. We had a half bottle that I opened and it was fantastic after only a few days in bottle but the full ones are still a little flat. Another week and we'll:tank:

I think longer is always better as long as no chance of contamination.

I think longer is always better as long as no chance of contamination.
That's another thing I was worried about taking the lid on and off to sample. I've been trying to wait a couple days in between each reading to lessen the possibility.

If I screw up at least there is a bar close by that has Weihenstephan on tap, so we'll get our hefeweizen one way or the other! :D

Latest posts

Back