Should I add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babski

Reaction score
Hi folks. I need some advise about adding yeast to carbonate in the bottle. I started the fermentation last December and racked to secondary about 6 months ago and would like to backsweeten and add some spices then prime and bottle. I want it to be somewhat lightly carbonated and am not sure if there will be enough active yeast left to do the job... any advice will be greatly appreciated.

6 months is a pretty long time, I wouldn't count on there being much active yeast left. Yeast is cheap, and easy to add in the bottling bucket for a little insurance.

I only have the patience because I have another 25 gallons that I'm drinking now. I will make it last a full year while my next batch is fermenting. It's amazing how clear it gets and how good the flavor is if you can leave it alone for 10 or 12 months. This batch was fermented in an Oak Bourbon barrel so it has a strong Oak flavor followed by the Bourbon then it finishes with apple flavor at the end. Only problem is the ABV is up around 12% so I need to be careful with it or I have a problem with motor functions!

Latest posts

Back