Short on yeast today, should I underpitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killervector

Reaction score
I'm gonna brew a stout this afternoon. I only have 1 smack pack of Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast. I was planning 10 gallons. I didn't have time to get a starter going yesterday, so I plan to smack the pack once it warms up.

My local HBS is $10 for a smack pack, plus he doesn't open until like 10am. So the earliest I'd be able to get one and get it smacked would be like noon.

Should I just underpitch? I've got pure 02 going inline with my Chill-Wizard so that should help. I plan my OG to be about 1.042-1.044. Its a Beamish Clone.

Any advice is appreciated!

I would not underpitch either.

I would just go get the other smack pack or other yeast and use it. The smack pack doesn't have to be smacked/swelled to use.

Or...brew the beer, chill and get into fermenters and then use some of the wort to create a starter and pitch the yeast the next day or whatever. Sure you are letting the wort sit around, but if your sanitation/cleaning is sound you should be fine.

I'd get the second one and make a starter with some of the wort - mentioned above- and pitch later.
One vial or smack pack isn't really enough for 5g. Per Mr Malty and my experiences. Good luck !

Yeah, one smack pack isn't big enough for 5 gallons, let alone 10. Either wait and brew later after you've had time to make a starter (usually takes mine more than a day), or buy at least 1 more smack pack.

I'm with ian-atx. Either make a starter now if you have some malt extract handy, or just wait and make a starter from a reserved 1-2L of your wort. After the starter has gone for 24hrs, pitch it. Your wort isn't going to suffer from waiting in the fermenters for a day if your sanitation is good.

Back