Age of Fermntis Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
Brewing a SMaSH Bohemian Pilzner tomorrow (5/21/24) with W-34/70, using BeerSmith 3 as my guide. The yeast I bought from the local HBS' yeast expires 05/2025 and was packaged 4/2022.

According to BeerSmith, 3(!) packets will get me 359.3 billion of the 379.1 billion cells needed. Should I worry about this, or just go ahead and pitch the three 11.5g packets 20b-short?

Here's my ingredients, if useful:
10lb Pilsner Malt
3oz 60min Saaz
2oz 35min Saaz

Water
Ca 6; Mg 2; Na 0; So 7; Cl 10

Thanks!

Unlike liquid, dry yeast shouldn't lose viability as long as the package is intact and it isn't exposed to real extremes of temperature. Your packs are well within the best by date and are likely to be good for years beyond that. So I don't really get the title you chose for the thread.

But anyway, three 11.5 gram packs @ >6B cfu/g is at least 207B cells. The thing is that we don't really know how much work that ">" is doing. So there may be a little more or there may be a lot more and I'm not really sure how Beersmith decided that three packs is 359B cells.

Unlike liquid, dry yeast shouldn't lose viability as long as the package is intact and it isn't exposed to real extremes of temperature. Your packs are well within the best by date and are likely to be good for years beyond that. So I don't really get the title you chose for the thread.

But anyway, three 11.5 gram packs @ >6B cfu/g is at least 207B cells. The thing is that we don't really know how much work that ">" is doing. So there may be a little more or there may be a lot more and I'm not really sure how Beersmith decided that three packs is 359B cells.
Thanks, mac_1103!

Back