short lager primary fermentation - FG hit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTHarrington

Reaction score
Need some advice here.... My first lager fermentation appears to be done pretty fast.

Background:
I have brewed a 5 gallon batch bohemian pilsner. Used Wyeasts 2001 Pilsner Urquell lager yeast.

Made a big starter for this... Used a Wyeast Activator pack and made a 1.8 liter starter. Then, I stepped that up again made a 1.6 liter starter from that. I was trying to get close to 300 billion cells. Did this all on a stir plate.

The mashing and brewing went well...
I hit my OG of 1.048
I cooled down my wort to 50 degrees with a counterflow chiller and then pitched my big starter.

Fermentation bubbles began in under 12 hrs. Lots of activity in 24 hrs.
Has been kept at constant 50 degrees in my fermentation cooler...

So, a week into the primary fermentation, I checked the gravity. Some bubbles, but the krausen was beginning to fall back in. So, I wanted to check my gravity to see where I was so i wouldn't miss out on my diacetyl rest.

Anyhow, checked the gravity and I'm at 1.010
Took a taste test. I was impressed. . nothing weird tasting. no butter.

I'm only 1 week into my fermentation.

I think I should do a d-rest and lager.

I know everything I've read says keep it in the primary for 2 weeks etc... You'll need 2 weeks to hit you FG.
But, I'm there. I'm at my FG. My air lock bubbles maybe once every 30 seconds.

Fermentation went fast...I'm not sure if it's because I put in a huge load of yeast.. or what...

What should I do? Keep it in the primary longer? Or do you think I'm safe to do a d-rest and lager?

I was under the impression that a D-rest was to clean up Diacetyl, not precursors, and so a D-rest was not needed if you aren't tasting diacetyl. If that's the case, and you've got a clean beer, skip the rest and just crash it.

I was under the impression that a D-rest was to clean up Diacetyl, not precursors, and so a D-rest was not needed if you aren't tasting diacetyl. If that's the case, and you've got a clean beer, skip the rest and just crash it.

Yes, doing the D-rest as a safety measure. From what I have read, it won't hurt.

A week is normal when you pitch enough yeast. If you don't taste diacetyl I recommend crashing it. This is a style were some diacetyl is alright anyway.

Man, I got gigged bigtime for a diacetyl taste in my BoPils in a comp! And really, it must have come from the bottle because there was NO taste of diacetyl in the keg, not even a slickness or oiliness in the mouthfeel. Anyway, even if some diacetyl is ok, it's not really that great tasting.

A short diacetyl rest may not be strictly required, but you can do one without any problem if you want to. I probably would, if you're not expert in detecting diacetyl. Then rack and begin lagering.

I've never had a lager take more than 10 days in primary, and usually it's less than 7 days, so I'd say your experience is typical IF you pitch the proper amount of yeast.

Back