Shopping carts with cars for children

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
srm775 said:
Ahh, Rhoobarb, you're just mad cause the SWMBO makes you ride in one too ... when you go to the beer store so you don't pull everything off the shelf and throw it in the cart.
LOL! Yes, but at least it's not a cart shaped like an automobile!

kornkob said:
We didn't have those things 10 years ago and I don't recall having to navigate around herds of kids then. I'm not sure your scenario is valid.

Not that I care about those carts-- I'e never really seen any problems with them specifically.

Kids in general have gotten more obnoxious, as have their parents. So it is possible that there is some sort of link-- even if not causitive.

No they haven't ... there are just more of them. As population increases and living spaces (cities) get more-and-more cramped, you still have the same number of bad parents/kids to good parents/kids, just more of both.

Rhoobarb said:
LOL! Yes, but at least it's not a cart shaped like an automobile!

Ahh bologne, I saw Kelly pushing you around in the the Bob the Builder cart at Binny's ... ocassionally you'd jump out the front window and grab a four-pack of something only to have her wrestle it away from you.

The carts I actually DO hate are the ones with the TVs in them. It's not that they're any harder to use, but you have to pay for them AND you can't take them outside of the store.

rdwj said:
The carts I actually DO hate are the ones with the TVs in them. It's not that they're any harder to use, but you have to pay for them AND you can't take them outside of the store.

that and it just those stupid kids shows ... might be different if you could get a ball-game on them or the Soprano's or something. Yeah, a Soprano's themed shopping cart, it could look like a big suburban with a Bada-Bing logo on the side.

rdwj said:
We also jumped around in the back seat of the car with no restraints while our parents drove around after happy hour smoking cigarettes.

Times are different.
And you turned out just fine. Sort of.:D

srm775 said:
No they haven't ...
Trust me; they have! Every generation of kids gets get more obnoxios than the last. There were a lot more kids when I was a kid than there are today. Just look:

fertility%20Figure%201.jpg

And every last one of us were angels compard to today's kids. Just ask my Mom.

srm775 said:
No they haven't ... there are just more of them. As population increases and living spaces (cities) get more-and-more cramped, you still have the same number of bad parents/kids to good parents/kids, just more of both.
While I see your point, I think you're wrong. I don't beleive that the density has changed all that much even though population has increased, at least around here.

Although I have to acknowledge I cannot produce data to prove that point either way.

kornkob said:
While I see your point, I think you're wrong. I don't beleive that the density has changed all that much even though population has increased, at least around here.

Although I have to acknowledge I cannot produce data to prove that point either way.

You think that the population of Madison Wisconsin hasn't changed, if not dramatically then significantly, in the last say 30 years (since you were a child)?

2003 Census estimate has the population of Madison doubled since 1980.

Regardless, because of industry consolidation the choices to shop are getting fewer and fewer while the super-mega shopping stores take over ... fewer places to shop means higher densities (pun intended) in those places still around.

i got smacked around in the grocery store all the time as a kid.

pines for the days of ritual beatings... though i don't really swat mary, mostly cause she thinks it's a game of one ups manship, and she comes back at me with a bat or sword or something blunt...:D

as for the nascar carts... i refuse to shop long enough to require a cart. if it can't be gathered up in a small basket, or in my arms, i ain't buying it. if it's lumber or something big, then i like the manly flatbed with the fecked up wheel that doesn't actually touch the ground...

i never let my kid ride in the nascar cart either because it's such a pain to push, and see above.

srm775 said:
You think that the population of Madison Wisconsin hasn't changed, if not dramatically then significantly, in the last say 30 years (since you were a child)?

2003 Census estimate has the population of Madison doubled since 1980.

Regardless, because of industry consolidation the choices to shop are getting fewer and fewer while the super-mega shopping stores take over ... fewer places to shop means higher densities (pun intended) in those places still around.

I am not an idiot. Yes there is a higher headcount in Madison today tan 10 years ago.

there is a difference between population and density.

I'd venture to guess that the density of the population in developed areas in madison wi hasn't changed much in 10 years. There are many areas of madison that were cornfields 10 years ago. Now they are suburbian cookie cutter housing.

I think it is safe to say that on a daily basis I see about as many people as I did 10 years ago. This means that wile there might e a higher headcount in city limits, I am exposed to the same number of people. Unless there are more children per capita, I still see the same number of kids as before.

Census data doesn't tell the whole story any more than anecdotal stories do.

As for 'reduced shopping choices'-- I don't see that at all. The choices have changed but I don't see much change there. In fact, in many cases there are more options in terms of stores than before (although produts in the US have homogonized, but that is not a fuction of population density in the city).

Take Grocery stores: There were once 3 major choices: Woodman's, Willy St coop and Kohl's. Now there are LOTS of choices: Woodman's, Pick n Save, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Target, Cub's, Sentry, Willy Street... and that's without counting any smaller corner stores (I can picutre but not name 3 different mexican groceries alone).

Now, has Madison lost the nice, convienent little strip of quirky specialty stores on state street? Largely, yes. As rents climbed an the downtown area revitalized, the small stores couldn't make it on their thin margins anymore. So those stores got scattered and, unfortunately, this also means that many folded, since the loss of the 'quirky stores' were not a destination store and they depended on the foot traffic that a central 'quirky store distirct' brought them.

Brewing Clamper said:
Holy sh*t... some pissed off people up in here! Are you mofos to old to remember what a f*cking drag it was to go grocery shopping with your mom! Even the most angelic of children would go ape sh*t after a little while.

Couple this whole thing with the fact that if a child watches 3 hours of tv a day they have seen something like 84 commercials, most of them being for food! It's the subliminal trigger method.

zoebisch01 said:
Couple this whole thing with the fact that if a child watches 3 hours of tv a day they have seen something like 84 commercials, most of them being for food! It's the subliminal trigger method.

And further coupled with the fact that 60% of a child's entertainment is now largely 'passive' entertainment so kids are not learning how to self entertain.

zoebisch01 said:
I cracking up here, because after watching 3 hours of Food Network, and seeing all the seemingly readily available goods that Rachel, Elton, Emeril and everone else just happens to pick up casually at the supermarket, I'm cursing my local stores out loud while shopping, for their complete lack of ingredients for an authentic Oyaka Donburi, short of chicken, of course. It's tragic, and makes me whine like a 3 year old.

(Holy crap that was alot of commas) I take complete responsibility for my lack of proper grammar this morning. I've only had one cup of coffee.

I'll throw this into the works :D (muahhahaha)

So now you remember when you lipped off in the store? What happened? I venture a guess you got punishment and most of the time probably a form of minor corporal punishment. Abuse is wrong, let me clear that out of the way. If you beat a kid you deserve to be...(insert bad mental image here)...anyways... Nowadays, we have video surveillance, fanatic people who don't mind their own business, etc. You can't smack a kids hand for fear that they'll be ripped from you and your life destroyed. So what happens? The kid becomes more rebellious and demanding. "MOMMY I WANT IT RIGHT NOW". Where are these tyrants coming from? They are a product of our social philosphy. Nobody can tell me it's no different than when I was a kid. It is, and in many respects I don't believe it's for the better in terms of how little respect children have for any figure of authority be it a parent, etc.

zoebisch01 said:
I'll throw this into the works :D (muahhahaha)

So now you remember when you lipped off in the store? What happened? I venture a guess you got punishment and most of the time probably a form of minor corporal punishment. Abuse is wrong, let me clear that out of the way. If you beat a kid you deserve to be...(insert bad mental image here)...anyways... Nowadays, we have video surveillance, fanatic people who don't mind their own business, etc. You can't smack a kids hand for fear that they'll be ripped from you and your life destroyed. So what happens? The kid becomes more rebellious and demanding. "MOMMY I WANT IT RIGHT NOW". Where are these tyrants coming from? They are a product of our social philosphy. Nobody can tell me it's no different than when I was a kid. It is, and in many respects I don't believe it's for the better in terms of how little respect children have for any figure of authority be it a parent, etc.

That is so true. I remember when I would act up at the store, my mom would just give me the "look." It usually worked, because I knew that if I kept it up my a$$ was grass.

They work on the idea that people will be polite to each other
I tend to work on that principle as well. I'm often disappointed, but overall life's better.

(Oh, and of course, keying the cars of those who aren't polite helps.)

:)

Rick

My kids may be a lot of work, but they have never given me (real) h3ll at the grocery store or any other store. No car carts here.

However, I would rather eat a shotgun than take my kids out to eat at a place the doesn't serve fast food.

Try my little guy.... born totally deaf until the age of 18 months, when he was surgically implanted with a choclear implant (bionic ear). Now 4 years old with the language skills of a a two year old. I love him more than anything else in the world. Look for us at the Kroger in Lilburn GA. (if you yell real loud that store has a nice echo) We will be in the race car buggy.

Latest posts

Back