Shopping carts with cars for children

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andypantz13

Reaction score
Now, I have to say, first off I understand the purpose of these things. Food shopping can sometimes take over an hour and little kids need something to do. But, that being said, I absolutely hate those shopping carts you see that are the fisher price car, then a shopping cart. Then end up being over six feet long, and there is absolutely no way that you can turn one without getting in someone elses way. I mean when I'm at the supermarket, its almost a given that it will be crowed. So the last thing I need is some mom with a six food long shopping cart full of groceries and a kid that she can't turn blocking the whole aisle so I can't get to anything. It drives me insane. Along with the people I happen to be walking behind in the supermarket(that was a tough one to spell) that see to randomly stop and think. I have no problem with people who stop and grab stuff right in front of me, that's hwy there are there. But when you stop, and there is nothing around you, or you grab nothing I have to wonder what you are doing, and I get a little mad that I bothered to swerve my cart and avoid you.

Okay, just needed to get that out. $5 Pitchers of Victory lager tend to get me a bit drunk, sorry if I said anything bad.

-Andrew

Be careful what you rant about. That will be you in a few years. Don't deny it.. It will be you. Then some kid fresh outta college with a cart full of BMC and cheap booze will be giving you dirty looks, too.:)

I miss the days some stores would have carts that had a huge area underneath that the kids could ride in. When I was little I would ride under there while my mom pushed the cart, that is until she needed to put something big like a large bad of dog food under there.

the_bird said:
:rolleyes:

No kids, eh? ;)

Haha, nope. I just don't see what's wrong with just letting the kid sit in the normal shopping cart, that's all I got when I was little. Maybe I'm just feeling left out I never got to sit in a fisher price car when mom took me shopping.

Think of it more as a mindless mumbling then?

andypantz13 said:
Haha, nope. I just don't see what's wrong with just letting the kid sit in the normal shopping cart, that's all I got when I was little. Maybe I'm just feeling left out I never got to sit in a fisher price car when mom took me shopping.

Think of it more as a mindless mumbling then?

LOL that's because there were no car-carts. Otherwise you would've begged your mom to no end until she went back and got it for you to ride in. Like I said, it will happen to you . And you will probably find the it works better for you, because the kid is too enamored with all the bells and whistles in the thing to even notice that he is in the cereal aisle and it's time to beg for the expensive sugary cereal with the sh!tty prize on the bottom.;)

Oh and BTW that mom wasn't any happier about trying to push that thing than you were about having to go around it.........:)

Think of it this way...

Better to have a distracted kidling in a big cart, or a screaming toddler who doesn't want to be in the store?

SixFoFalcon said:
I love that attitude. We are all destined to have children. It's not a choice. :rolleyes:

Of course child-rearing is a choice. But considering the vast majority of Americans do indeed choose parenthood eventually, I figured my prediction was a pretty good bet.
We do indeed have choices, like we could choose to not to be condescending and ruin a fun thread.

Bernie Brewer said:
Oh and BTW that mom wasn't any happier about trying to push that thing than you were about having to go around it.........:)

That is exactly the point I was going to make.

I feel the OP pain. I don't have any kids and sometimes little kids can be very annoying, especially in a store and things like that. However, there is no way the mom is any happier about lugging that thing around than the person who is trying to avoid it. I dunno, sometimes I think people just need to mellow out. I get just as frustrated as anyone, but that trip to the store was likely not all sunshine and rainbows for the lady hauling two kids around the store either...

I used to ride in the cart, like where you put the groceries, and my mom would hand me the stuff she bought and I would stack it up... kept me entertained.

Bernie Brewer said:

/nailonhead

:cross:

the_bird said:
Think of it this way...

Better to have a distracted kidling in a big cart, or a screaming toddler who doesn't want to be in the store?

We're working on a better solution. I've been perfecting the design since high school. It's like a pet caddy, but for kids. It has wheels, and it's made with sound-resistant glass and other materials with extremely high NRC & STC values. The idea is, you put the little hellspawn into the thing and they can scream their little heads off and not bother everyone around you. Think about the possibilities...:fro:

Ha. I bet you are really thrilled about the Double Decker Fire Truck carts at the malls plus all the mindless cattle stopping to graze in the middle of the mall corridor or right in front of the store front doors.

As for me, I have more important issues to deal with in the market with my big assed racecar cart than to worry about anyone else. If the cart keep my boy occupied enough to not pull everything from the shelves that is within reach I am a happy gocart lucky shopper. The store provides them, my kid likes them, I am gonna use them.

I only wish they made them a bit bigger so SWMBO could push me around the store while she shopped.

I can't wait for my daughter to be old enough to use one. The plan is to dress her up as Lord Humungus and teach her lines from the Road Warrior.

Of course for halloween I want to go as Blaster and dress her up as Master.

kids yes no blah blah blah.

where are you getting pitchers of victory lager for $5? that's what i want to know!

I agree that the long ones suck, I hate turning them in the store :D

In all honesty though, the long ones are hard for me to maneuver and I am not a weak man. I could only imagine a small woman with 3 kids pouring out of it, and the craziness that kids add to boot! I have seen some compact ones that actually work well but not every store has that kind. Lowes has huge ones, but the aisles are much wider.

I try to avoid the stores that have those stupid kiddie carts.
I also do not place any items in the shopping cart into that little place where small children have sat in.
You know what went on there.
My biggest peeve about shopping carts are the knuckleheads who place them sideways in the isle then kind of look out of the corner of their eyeys and snikker at ya. Well guess what knucklehead, we gonna play us some shopping cart destruction derby. BANG!!
I also do not aprreciate idiots that get on the cell phone while pushing their cart and go into that cell phone zombie trance, like the whole world just went invisible around them. BANG!! Oops, did I hit your cart? Wake up dummy, I'm trying to buy some friggin' groceries here. Just sayin......
AP

Vermicous said:
I can't wait for my daughter to be old enough to use one. The plan is to dress her up as Lord Humungus and teach her lines from the Road Warrior. Of course for halloween I want to go as Blaster and dress her up as Master.

LMAO. :rockin:

APendejo said:
My biggest peeve about shopping carts are the knuckleheads who place them sideways in the isle then kind of look out of the corner of their eyeys and snikker at ya. Well guess what knucklehead, we gonna play us some shopping cart destruction derby. I also do not aprreciate idiots that get on the cell phone while pushing their cart and go into that cell phone zombie trance, like the whole world just went invisible around them. BANG!! Oops, did I hit your cart? Wake up dummy, I'm trying to buy some friggin' groceries here. Just sayin......
AP

True, True. This also applies to those who stand in the middle of the aisle with a regular cart, staring, and totally lost to the world of product. (aka, what's on the shelves) Those ones just kill me. Drag yer a$$ to the side of the aisle and stare. It's not a friggin' Grand Master, it's the canned fruit section fer gawds sake. So MOVE.

And for the record, when outside, and done with yer cart? Put it with the rest of em' in the friggin corral.

In the end my 3yo could give a **** less about the cart, he wants to walk or hang from the cart as I push...

Ize

McKBrew said:
I only wish they made them a bit bigger so SWMBO could push me around the store while she shopped.
I'd shop there!

CostCo, Lowes, and Home Depot have those bigger carts. They look like a flatbed truck, but you can ride in em AND get groceries!

Until the staff tells you to get down because of 'safety concerns' :(

Evan! said:
We're working on a better solution. I've been perfecting the design since high school. It's like a pet caddy, but for kids. It has wheels, and it's made with sound-resistant glass and other materials with extremely high NRC & STC values. The idea is, you put the little hellspawn into the thing and they can scream their little heads off and not bother everyone around you. Think about the possibilities...:fro:

Evan that is the greatest thing I have ever heard, the only thing is you nead to make sure it is air tight so that no sound can get out of the little holes. If it is built right the kids will just accept their fate or run out of oxygen and go to sleep for a long long time, at which point you should probably poke some air holes in the thing so the authorities don't get suspicious.

APendejo said:
I try to avoid the stores that have those stupid kiddie carts.
I also do not place any items in the shopping cart into that little place where small children have sat in.
You know what went on there.
AP

You know what stores really get to me, are the stores that you know are going to be full of kids which still set aside special parking for parents with children. They put up the sign, you know the one with the child sitting in the carriage seat, and a nice little note saying the parking is for parents with small children. Well guess what Toys R Us having 3 of those spots may make you seem kid friendly but I guarantee that almost every parent in that place has a kid with them, and they all now think they are entitled to those spots, you may as well put signs like that across your entire lot.

I went once right before Christmas to pick some stuff at Toys R Us and the lot was full so I used one of those spots, it was only steps from the door, truly a great find. A lady with many kids in a van glared at me as I walked into the store, I think if I had been any slower she probably would have yelled at me. O well what can I say sucks to be you lady I was here first, now go circle around the lot again with the screaming kids, and be sure to have fun.

The best part about these "kid friedly" spots is that there is nothing enforcing that it is for people with kids only. They work on the idea that people will be polite to each other, instead of fines and towing the way handicapped spots work, so I have no problem taking these spots, it is more of a PR thing for most places anyway.

I think the world needs:
7lbs Patience
2lbs respect
.5lbs understanding
mash @ 158 so you get some unfermentable sugars

1oz hold your tongue at 60min
.5oz put yourself in their place at 30min
at flame out treat others as you want to be treated

:mug: make this brew often and share with everyone. ;)

Joker said:
I think the world needs:
7lbs Patience
2lbs respect
.5lbs understanding
mash @ 158 so you get some unfermentable sugars

1oz hold your tongue at 60min
.5oz put yourself in their place at 30min
at flame out treat others as you want to be treated

:mug: make this brew often and share with everyone. ;)

Aaaww! How sweet!

GROUP HUG!

andypantz13 said:
... I absolutely hate those shopping carts you see that are the fisher price car, then a shopping cart....
Hug, schmug! +1. Those monstrosities should be banned. I first saw these bastardly carts at an upscale grocery store in Texas when visiting my parents years ago. There it was, with some Beemer driving, cell phone yapping, jellyheaded bimbette carting little Damien around in it. It was the size of a bumper car! My Mom turned to me and asked if we had "those stupid things" where I live. Within a year or so, we did.

I've been bumped in the shin and run over the toes by "those stupid things". Are kids so dumb and ADD riddled that we have to entertain them 24/7?! A racecar for them to ride around the grocery store? A DVD for them to watch in the backseat of their gas guzzling SUV that's being poorly driven by mommy b/c she can't put the g*ddam cell phone down long enough to pay attention to the road?! Good God, what happened to "stick with your Mom, keep your hands to yourself and don't bother people" in the supermarket and "look out the window" while you drive home?!

Holy sh*t... some pissed off people up in here! Are you mofos to old to remember what a f*cking drag it was to go grocery shopping with your mom! Even the most angelic of children would go ape sh*t after a little while.

Did you have to walk to school in the snow up hill both ways too? Cuz they have buses now, spoiled kids... BTW, I live in the SF bay area and there are tons of idiot SUV drivers on the phone ... mostly men in crappy business shirts and $10 ties.

Oooh, this is fun!

Brewing Clamper said:
... Are you mofos to old to remember what a f*cking drag it was to go grocery shopping with your mom! Even the most angelic of children would go ape sh*t after a little while. ...

Yeah, I remember what it was like. It was called behave and walk with mommy or get smacked! We need more of that today, not do-gooder DCFS types threatening to haul parents into court for "abuse" - coddling the little a**wipes and making them all happy-happy by putting their spoiled little overweight butts in shopping carts made to look like Fisher Price cars!:D

School buses? Are you kidding?! Muhmmy and Dahddy drop them off at the school's door these days! Try driving past a grade school at 8am or 3pm and see how long you sit in a traffic jam of people trying to get in & out of the parking lot. No wonder so many kids are fat!

Think of it this way - those carts hold TWO kids - happy kids! You're not supposed to let kids ride in the basket, so that means that you would have two carts or one of the little ones would be walking.

I ask you this, mr. I'm in too big of a hurry to shop at the pace of others, would you rather navigate a bunch of kids running around or a nice big cart?

Oh, and if you can't wait the extra few seconds it takes, go shopping after bedtime. The stores aren't crowded and you can speed from stop to stop without anyone "wasting" your precious time.

rdwj said:
Think of it this way - those carts hold TWO kids - happy kids! You're not supposed to let kids ride in the basket, so that means that you would have two carts or one of the little ones would be walking.

I ask you this, mr. I'm in too big of a hurry to shop at the pace of others, would you rather navigate a bunch of kids running around or a nice big cart?

We didn't have those things 10 years ago and I don't recall having to navigate around herds of kids then. I'm not sure your scenario is valid.

Not that I care about those carts-- I'e never really seen any problems with them specifically.

Kids in general have gotten more obnoxious, as have their parents. So it is possible that there is some sort of link-- even if not causitive.

rdwj said:
... You're not supposed to let kids ride in the basket...
Hey! We rode in the basket and we liked it!

Two kids? Simple. One in the rear basket seat, one standing in the front of the cart, holding onto the front rim! Helps them develop their coordination. Once they're old enough to walk, start walking!

Rhoobarb said:
Yeah, I remember what it was like. It was called behave and walk with mommy or get smacked!

Ahh, Rhoobarb, you're just mad cause the SWMBO makes you ride in one too ... when you go to the beer store so you don't pull everything off the shelf and throw it in the cart.

Rhoobarb said:
Hey! We rode in the basket and we liked it!

Two kids? Simple. One in the rear basket seat, one standing in the front of the cart, holding onto the front rim! Helps them develop their coordination. Once they're old enough to walk, start walking!

We also jumped around in the back seat of the car with no restraints while our parents drove around after happy hour smoking cigarettes.

Times are different.

Back