Shooters/Reloaders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
In the wake of the panic buying of ammo (and just about everything else gun related) I've been thinking about reloading. I know the are several ways to clean your brass, dry tumbling, wet tumbling etc. I was wondering if anyone here uses Star San to clean their brass. I took some miscellaneous brass that I had and soaked it in Star San for about 15 minutes, rinsed it and it looks brand new. It just needs to be dried. I guess the big question here is can Star San damage the brass?

Thanks

Star San is an acid baced sanitizer. Never thought it as a brass cleaner, always dry cleaned my brass in a tumbler with walnut and polished with corn cob.
Just a thought that long term use of Star San to clean may slowly erode away your brass making it thinner and unsafe. Use it once to clean real dirty stuff but not on a regular basis.
It got to a point where I had to check all my brass for cracks before reloading ( should be done anyways) because some had gotten so thin even the nickle plating had worn off.

In the wake of the panic buying of ammo (and just about everything else gun related) I've been thinking about reloading. I know the are several ways to clean your brass, dry tumbling, wet tumbling etc. I was wondering if anyone here uses Star San to clean their brass. I took some miscellaneous brass that I had and soaked it in Star San for about 15 minutes, rinsed it and it looks brand new. It just needs to be dried. I guess the big question here is can Star San damage the brass?

Thanks

I highly doubt it would, but I would be afraid that it could weaken the brass. I am sure a short soak would be fine but I don't know about longer.

Back