"Shiner 106" Birthday cake beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwmasstransit

Reaction score
Shiner has a seasonal beer called "106" and it taste like chocolate birthday cake. It really is tasty and was hoping some one with a more sensitive palate could help decipher the ingredients. I know its a chocolate stout so getting a recipe for that is easy, but the way the chocolate and "cake" stand out is really amazing.

I was thinking of using vanilla in secondary to help present the flavor and aromas better.

nibs vs powder? or both?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Tried that one the other day, it was indeed tasty but was almost too much. Probably the sweetest stout I'd ever tried.

I'd venture a guess that the 'cakiness' comes mostly from the sweetness, probably lactose/maltodextrine, and loads of vanilla. There wasn't any hint of roastiness, so there is probably little to no roasted barley/black patent. Perhaps a lot of darker caramel and chocolate/midnight wheat in place of traditional stout grains?

I'd start with 60% Maris otter, 15% caramel 60L, 15% chocolate malt, 10% midnight wheat, loads of lactose, loads of chocolate (nibs and powder), and vanilla. It was cloyingly sweet, so you'd probably have to shoot for an FG of 1.020 or above.

Latest posts

Back