Shelf Life of Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John1S

Reaction score
I have had some off flavors on my last couple of brews so I am re-examining my sanitation. On brew day I mix up 5 gal of star san and use it throughout the day. At the end of the day it goes into my secondary carboy where it sits until I rack to secondary. Its generally a week to 10 days between brew day and time to secondary. Is that too long for the star san to sit and still be effective? Does anyone know how long it is good once mixed?

I use the same pail of StarSan for weeks, until it starts to look cloudy (or there's visible debris in it). I think if you had a sanitation issue, it'd manifest much more distinctively - i.e., you'd have pellicles in your beer, they'd be noticeably sour, etc.

If you keep it clean, not dumping beer, PBW, or other stuff in it, and keeping the pH under 3 it should remain active and last for weeks or months even. I toss it when it gets too scummy by my (sub-)standards. Even cloudiness is not an indication of it being exhausted, it's from a reaction with the minerals in your water.

I do what Island lizard does. I only dump it if I have nowhere to store it including growlers and quart mason jars.

Best thing to do is get 5 gallons of RO or distilled water and mix up the starsan solution. Then buy some PH strips that go from 1-6 on the PH scale. Test the PH and as long as the PH is below 3 you can use it. The starsan goes cloudy if you use normal tap water, but with the RO or distilled it stays clear. I have used the same mixture for months.

Best thing to do is get 5 gallons of RO or distilled water and mix up the starsan solution. Then buy some PH strips that go from 1-6 on the PH scale. Test the PH and as long as the PH is below 3 you can use it. The starsan goes cloudy if you use normal tap water, but with the RO or distilled it stays clear. I have used the same mixture for months.

I have several of those plastic 5-gallon water jugs from the grocery that I use for RO water. I have one of those jugs dedicated for keeping Starsan.

I'm cheap and hate to pour out good Starsan after a brew session.

Oh, forgot to say, I fill spray bottles with it too. Great for spot sanitation, airlocks, underneath lid rims, counter tops, you name it.

The 32oz bottle I bought 4 years ago is almost empty now. Still looks and works like the day I bought it.

Given that, 4+ years confirmed.
I can't see why it would go bad, given the ingredients.

As usual, I ignore expiration dates and most manufacturers' recommendations on shelf life. Use (common) sense.

I am asking this because i got this answer from the StarSan manufacturers: "Hello,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us here at Five Star!

I would happy to answer you questions. First off thanks for supporting our products, Starsan can last for some time in concentrate and in a mixed solution. In concentrate the product will stay good for about a year. In a mixed solution it can stay good for a while as well. If you are using reverse osmosis or distilled water to make up your solution it can last for 6 months or longer. If you are using tap water is can stay good for 3 months or longer. The best way to test the effectiveness of a mixed solution is to test your ph level. As long as your level is at 3.5 or below and you have a clear solution it will do exactly what it is intended to do. Sometimes you will notice a slight odor the longer the product sits.

If you have any other questions please feel free to let me know.

Cheers!"

Agreed on the pH being <3.5.
I have seen pH <3 reported in some places.

The "as long as you have a clear solution..." clause is total BS, contradicting their own claims made elsewhere. Reason is, my solution turns cloudy after a day (using charcoal filtered, not RO water), but works fine for 3 months. I toss it when it gets "gray," or scummy. I do test the pH regularly and add a few drops of Phosphoric acid when needed.

Again, I've learned early in life to use common sense rather than exp. dates and manufacturers' shelf life BS. They all have ulterior motives, one is selling more product. Another is staying intentionally nebulous about breakdown and spoilage of product.

My concentrate is indeed over 4 years old. I know that, because I bought it well before I moved to my new home, and I've been here almost 5 years. That said, let me rephrase myself: It will last at least 5 years.

I did take the red pill.

I typically keep about 3 gallons of diluted (using distilled water) StarSan on hand plus a spray bottle full. I recently tested some that I had mixed about a year ago with a calibrated digital pH meter. It was still clear and at 2.45 pH.

I also keep a 1 gallon bucket of solution for sanitizing, and i payed a lot of money for a bottle of StarSan here in my country, so i won't be tossing it after 1 year (probably it have more that 1 year), i just wanted to hear other opinions.

Cheers,
Ionut

Back