she said "it takes too long".........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
A clerk at a LBHS when asked the other day if she was a home brewer replied "it takes too long" ............................. I know she loves home brew, but I also know that the people around her are brewing on complex systems....... 3 tuns, pumps, etc. She's been to a few brew days where guys haul out their equipment. Shiny stainless steel vessels connected to pumps and plumbing with fancy triclamp fittings, and enough valves to confuse even a firefighter!........ a 5-6 hour process including cleanup. She's also been involved in the BIAB process.... a bit faster at 4.5 hours including clean up. She doesn't have 5 hours to commit to brewing......... she has a LIFE!!

I explained that I had refined the process down to 2.5 hours start to finish (grain pre-crushed), and she couldn't believe it.........

I explained how I do an "inline mash", doughing in with hot tap water (130F), and rapidly raising the temp to 145, then very slowly to 155 over 20 minutes. How I can raise to boil from 155 in just 8 minutes using my kitchen stove and my floating 2500 watt heater (home built). How I boil for just 45 minutes at a hard boil instead of an hour or 90 minutes, and how I crash it to pitch temp in just 7 minutes using an immersion heater, a cold water bath, and ice filled tubes floating in the brew.............

She obviously didn't believe me, though she's tried my brews...... and her friends who brew told her I was full of s__t........ or so I assume. The result is that I have to "prove it"..... I refuse to have more than one other person in the kitchen while I brew... there just isn't the space, and I don't need 5 people underfoot. I'm not a "social brewer" like many folks here......... I'm really not a social anything.

Sometime in January I will have a brewing "partner" for one brew session..... She chooses the brew she wants to make and brings the ingredients......... she takes the fermenter home, and from that point on it's "her baby"..... She's too far away, I won't accept any "child support" responsibilities. A friend of hers will rack it into bottles and do the sugar thing. It isn't a date......... she's easily young enough to be my daughter (30 years difference).... so don't get the wrong idea. It may be the start of something beautiful...... someone's exploration into brewing.

Most folks don't brew the way I do........... I hope to communicate some of that idea to her as well......... I don't begin with a recipe, only with ingredients, and a sense of how they can be put together to make something interesting. I sit down in front of the computer and use Brewer's Friend to craft something from the grains and hops I have on hand. I may use two row or pilsner, any of a number of crystal malts, biscuit malts, roast barley, or chocolate malt. I may use some corn sugar or honey, wheat malt, rye malt, flaked corn, cooked rice, torrified wheat, etc. I have about 20 different hops in my freezer..... I'm gradually learning what works and what doesn't, what I like, and what I don't............... Hopefully I'll "show her a good time", launching her into the world of home brewing, and recruiting someone to "spread the word" that brewing can be inexpensive, easy, fun and NOT eat up all your spare time. It really can!!

H.W.

she said "it takes too long".........

They make "special tools" if you need that extra help :p ...oh wait homebrewing? Yeah you're lucky if you're doing it in 2.5 hours. It takes me about that long to figure out where I left my hydrometer the day before. I try to stay organized but I often end up working against myself. Kudos for offering to help her.

The difference between 2.5 hours and 5-6 hours is really not important, IMO, for people who like the process of making their own beer, especiually since you have to spend time "in front of the computer...to craft something from the grains and hops" you have on hand. Given how long it takes to ferment, package, carbonate... anyone who doesn't have time for 5 hours also likely doesn't have time to learn how to do it in 2.5. It is more likely that she just isn't interested in brewing.

Although, maybe you could get her to your flat. "Hey, how would you like to see my bag?"

My lady never complains about me taking too long.....

Word!!!

Seriousness aside, I dont mind the time it takes me to homebrew. I enjoy the process. My most relaxed brewday was the one where I let me mash ride on over an hour, and let it fly sparge for over an hour.

Brewing doesnt take too long for me. Its another excuse to crack a beer open at 9 in the morning. Work takes too long. Mowing the grass takes too long. Brewing is a passion of mine, it doesnt take long enough :mug:

I really don't like to be rushed. I typically take 5 hours, and that is fine by me. If I have a stuck sparge, I don't want to be on a time schedule, and like to allow it time to drain slowly. I insist on a minimum of 60 minute boil. Those flame out hops - they will sit there for 30 minutes or more.

Owly, you're doing a fine thing. There are many people *(see above) who like to enjoy a leisurely brew day. That's great. There are many others who can't or won't take that much time. They shouldn't miss the joy of brewing because they want to spend time on other things too. This pastime embraces many different styles of beer and brewing. I would even suggest that she might try extract brewing to save time. "Do what works for you" is as much the motto of brewing as "Relax, don't worry..."

Owly, I do like your posts.

Something about being unconventional, doing things differently, and questioning the status quo really makes me enjoy seeing what you've come up with and your process to get there.

I know you spoken of your fast mash process before, but the one thing that interests me in this latest one is your description of the temp raise in the sacc rest. You're essentially doing a short protein rest with the 130 infusion (honestly I'm not sure why you start at this step unless you're using high protein malts), but it's the 140-155F over 20min that really has my interest peaked.

In my current setup, I'm essentially doing the same, only in reverse as the cooler tends to loose heat overtime (not 15 deg, but still, it's not uncommon to loose 5F over a 30-40min mash in my cooler). I have trouble maintaining a steady temp with my induction plate as it wants to climb slowly even on it's lowest setting. Your technique has me interested as it would easily fit a limitation of my system.

Only bummer, I don't think my pot could do a full BIAB/No sparge in it's current configuration - it's too small! :drunk: New I should have got that 8gal pot...

I'm going to play around with the concept anyway - it could offer me an option as I'm exploring a CT Brutus20 system, as well as offer a simple/quick option for BIAB Milds I love to make.

Cheers!
:mug:

It's a noble effort to try to help people think differently about brewing, but she may be a lost cause. I know one thing is for sure, I wouldn't hire someone that would say what she said. For one thing, it's a horrible sales pitch. It's like a Chevy salesman that drives a Dodge. I don't like liars but in that case telling the truth is even worse. It's better to not have to decide between the two evils and just hire someone that is passionate about the same thing the customers are.

It's a noble effort to try to help people think differently about brewing, but she may be a lost cause. I know one thing is for sure, I wouldn't hire someone that would say what she said. For one thing, it's a horrible sales pitch. It's like a Chevy salesman that drives a Dodge. I don't like liars but in that case telling the truth is even worse. It's better to not have to decide between the two evils and just hire someone that is passionate about the same thing the customers are.

I agree with this 100%. Terrible sales pitch, the goal should be to get as many people as possible into homebrewing should you own a homebrew store.

As for the time, to each his own. Brewing is a hobby and a passion for me. My typical brew day is a 6 hour job and I don't mind it as most of it I am still able to do other things as it is a lot of waiting around, especially during the mash and cooling the wort.

While sometimes I like doing a big huge brew day with several decoctions, etc., having time-saving techniques in your quiver is definitely valuable. And it may allow people to fit in more brew days or try something a little riskier (coconut and celery saison?), if they're not afraid of losing 5-6 hours on a bad batch.

My actual temp after dough in is about 120 due to temp drop. It makes no time difference weather I heat my strike water to 154 so my starting mash temp is 145, or heat with the grain already in. I reach mash range pretty rapidly on high heat (gas stove cranked beyond design settings). My thinking is that there can be some benefit if small from this temp rise, and no harm. I really do it because there's no time penalty.

The challenge is controlling temp rise over the 20 minute time in the mash range. I'm working with gas, so it's difficult to fine tune. I plan on one of my next brews to use my electric hot plate from 145 to 155 in an attempt to hone in on a consistent setting.

There really isn't an advantage of doing the inline mash over doing a wrap it up mash, in fact the inline mash means stirring pretty steadily. 20 minutes isn't a great deal of time, and I simply don't want to take the pot off the stove and wrap it. I've "mashed up" and mashed down (like you do)...... both work, but mashing up works better for me. I believe... and could be wrong.... that there is benefit in heating with the grain already in the water. The conversion is already happening when it hits mash temp range, and as it approaches 155, the rest of the conversion happens in minutes. It goes from milky to clear with breathtaking speed, and the brix shoots up and stabilizes very quickly. The arguments against this short mash time don't hold up in reality. I get more or less identical results weather I do a 20 minute inline mash or an hour insulated conventional mash. I believe that part of this is that there are other processes essential to conversion that are NOT in themselves conversion. Processes that have to take place during the hour mash before conversion can take place. I'm using my heating time to accomplish this.

The real advantage in terms of time will show up when I have my in bag circulator built, and can mash while I sleep.

The real creativity of brewing takes place mostly in the designing of the brew, not in sitting around waiting for something to happen. There seems to be an idea that I'm rushing around or racing, simply because I have eliminated a great deal of the waiting. I really don't understand how people make the leap from efficient to rushed? On the contrary, my brew day is anything but rushed. I simply have a system that is simple and involves little equipment, and I know where to find that equipment.... I brew nearly every week after all. I suspect that the majority of members here don't brew half a dozen batches a year. That means that I don't have to search closets or shelves for equipment. It's all right there where I put it last week........ and every week.

I have no idea what people do while waiting for things to happen... I often spend the small amounts of time I spend waiting by answering Email, making a phone call or two, reading the news, and if on a week day, trading stocks (day trading... most of my positions last minutes and involve $60K-70K). My computer is within 10' of where I brew.

The in bag circulating pump system will reduce my actual brew day to 60-90 minutes including clean up............ 10-15 minutes the night before to fill the kettle and set the timer and add the grain. That's not too shabby

H.W.

Owly, I do like your posts.

Something about being unconventional, doing things differently, and questioning the status quo really makes me enjoy seeing what you've come up with and your process to get there.

I know you spoken of your fast mash process before, but the one thing that interests me in this latest one is your description of the temp raise in the sacc rest. You're essentially doing a short protein rest with the 130 infusion (honestly I'm not sure why you start at this step unless you're using high protein malts), but it's the 140-155F over 20min that really has my interest peaked.

In my current setup, I'm essentially doing the same, only in reverse as the cooler tends to loose heat overtime (not 15 deg, but still, it's not uncommon to loose 5F over a 30-40min mash in my cooler). I have trouble maintaining a steady temp with my induction plate as it wants to climb slowly even on it's lowest setting. Your technique has me interested as it would easily fit a limitation of my system.

Only bummer, I don't think my pot could do a full BIAB/No sparge in it's current configuration - it's too small! :drunk: New I should have got that 8gal pot...

I'm going to play around with the concept anyway - it could offer me an option as I'm exploring a CT Brutus20 system, as well as offer a simple/quick option for BIAB Milds I love to make.

Cheers!
:mug:

That 2.5 hour brew technique sounds sketchy to me but if it works, have at it. My day is about 5 hours to brew 10-13 gallon batches. If I had a brew house so everything was setup and get my cleaning protocols faster I could get it down to maybe 4 hours. I have two cookers but my strike water heater could be higher BTU to speed that up. Maybe having a hot liquor tank would be nice so having strike and sparge water ready would really help.
Question- I brew with keggles but do those really expensive self contained systems cut much time out of the process?

Cutting the brewing time down has limitations but I have found you can increase output. Sometimes my daughter and I brew together and we can brew 2 complete 12 gallon batches in about 6 hours, where it takes 5 hours to do one batch. The setup and cleanup are reduced and I can keep my two propane cookers going most of the time. I only have one mashtun, boil kettle and wort chiller, which are bottlenecks but I have extras of most things like kettles and misc. stuff.

That 2.5 hour brew technique sounds sketchy to me but if it works, have at it. My day is about 5 hours to brew 10-13 gallon batches. If I had a brew house so everything was setup and get my cleaning protocols faster I could get it down to maybe 4 hours. I have two cookers but my strike water heater could be higher BTU to speed that up. Maybe having a hot liquor tank would be nice so having strike and sparge water ready would really help.
Question- I brew with keggles but do those really expensive self contained systems cut much time out of the process?

I agree with this 100%. Terrible sales pitch, the goal should be to get as many people as possible into homebrewing should you own a homebrew store.

As for the time, to each his own. Brewing is a hobby and a passion for me. My typical brew day is a 6 hour job and I don't mind it as most of it I am still able to do other things as it is a lot of waiting around, especially during the mash and cooling the wort.

This hardly qualifies as a terrible sales pitch........ I'm a regular customer, and these people qualify as casual friends. I share beer and kombucha with them, and the casual conversation was more of a conversation between casual friends than as a sales person / customer. If I'd been a wannabe brewer....... as when I bought my first grains and brew bag, she would have been all encouragement. Answering my question honestly is far better than lying or pretending. Dishonesty has no place in customer relations. Personally I don't deal with people who lie to me!!

H.W.

one thing I could never understand about the speed brewers on here is this:

they claim to save brewing time by way of grinding grain the night before or cleaning and sanitizing equipment the day before and so on....

I don't see how this saves time? It doesn't, it moves the time spent from the morning to the evening before. whether a task is done the day of or the day before, its time should still be added to the brew day time.

if you were doing this for a living and being paid by the hour, would you only wanna get paid for the time you worked on brew day or would you also count the time you spent the day before prepping the brewday? I know my time card would include the prep day before......

This hardly qualifies as a terrible sales pitch........ I'm a regular customer, and these people qualify as casual friends. I share beer and kombucha with them, and the casual conversation was more of a conversation between casual friends than as a sales person / customer. If I'd been a wannabe brewer....... as when I bought my first grains and brew bag, she would have been all encouragement. Answering my question honestly is far better than lying or pretending. Dishonesty has no place in customer relations. Personally I don't deal with people who lie to me!!

H.W.

That little background is very helpful to be able to see this in the right light.

Being an employee is a persona, and I agree, it would be ideal if that matched that individual's every day's personality. But if that's not attainable (as is often the case) it is always best if persona prevails over personality, of which we encounter the opposite way too commonly: a sales clerk or employee with an attitude. They can hurt a small business the most.

Last edited:

they claim to save brewing time by way of grinding grain the night before or cleaning and sanitizing equipment the day before and so on....

I don't see how this saves time? It doesn't, it moves the time spent from the morning to the evening before. whether a task is done the day of or the day before, its time should still be added to the brew day time.

if you were doing this for a living and being paid by the hour, would you only wanna get paid for the time you worked on brew day or would you also count the time you spent the day before prepping the brewday? I know my time card would include the prep day before......

I do no prep the day before. I choose or make up a recipe and then start my clock. Bring the equipment needed to start, weigh and mill teh grain while heating the water to strike temp. Start the mash and put away any equipment that I am done with and bring up any more that I still need. Clean and put away again and bring out the fermenter to be sanitized while boiling. Finish cleaning and put the rest away while the wort chills. Done in 2 1/2 hours.

It does make a difference... If I can get my brewing time down to 3 hours, I can do it on a weeknight or Sunday without making Mrs. Z angry. (but it still has to be fun, this is a hobby and not a job) The grinding and other prep still has to be done and should be accounted for, but it doesn't have to be on brewday.

I'm down to 3.5 hours at a pretty leisurely pace. Not sure I can get to 3 hours without feeling rushed, so I brew on Saturdays, and free Saturdays don't come along all that often. The biggest time saver by far was the electric HLT.

I do no prep the day before. I choose or make up a recipe and then start my clock. Bring the equipment needed to start, weigh and mill teh grain while heating the water to strike temp. Start the mash and put away any equipment that I am done with and bring up any more that I still need. Clean and put away again and bring out the fermenter to be sanitized while boiling. Finish cleaning and put the rest away while the wort chills. Done in 2 1/2 hours.

Then you sir are in fact a fast brewer. I didn't say it was bad to brew fast, just that a lot claim to brew fast then mention all this work they did the day before. Congratz on your efficiency, hopefully one day I too will be as organized on brew day.

It does make a difference... If I can get my brewing time down to 3 hours, I can do it on a weeknight or Sunday without making Mrs. Z angry. (but it still has to be fun, this is a hobby and not a job) The grinding and other prep still has to be done and should be accounted for, but it doesn't have to be on brewday.

I'm down to 3.5 hours at a pretty leisurely pace. Not sure I can get to 3 hours without feeling rushed, so I brew on Saturdays, and free Saturdays don't come along all that often. The biggest time saver by far was the electric HLT.

Again, nothing wrong with doing prep ahead of time. My comment was about the people who do the prep but then seem to "forget" about all the time they spent yesterday when they brag about how fast they can brew.

If prepping before hand makes you be able to finagle enough time to brew the next day, then its a no brainer.

As I said, nothing wrong with prep work, I'm a chef and my industry is built around prep work. My point is, don't short change yourself (or forum friends) as to the amount time you are actually spending to make your beer.

You are missing the point altogether......... This is about reducing the total brew day time. If you can have grain pre crushed, you save doing it on brew day. It's only about a 10 minute saving, but that's 10 minutes less spent on brew day.

Obviously you think I should get up on brew day and drive to the LHBS, buy supplies, drive back, crush grain, and start brewing. Let's see. The LHBS is a 160 mile round trip, so that right away adds at least 3 hours to brew day. Or perhaps since I buy malt and hops in quantity I need to amortize that time, applying a percentage of that time to each brew. That's it.... assign a "time cost" to each ingredient.

Home brewing is a HOBBY..........Nobody is punching a time clock and it's asinine to make that comparison. The problem most of us face is in coming up with large blocks of time for brewing. It is far easier to find 2.5 hours of brewday time than it is to find 5 hours. Most of us can fairly easily take 2.5 hours after work...... or even before work with little trouble. For example, if you have dinner at 6 and it consumes an hour what do you do from 7:00 to 10:00? Sit in front of the boob tube? If you started brewing at 7:00 using conventional methods, you would be finishing up at midnight. With my method, I would be done by 9:30

It amazes me how persistently people hang on to the notion that in reducing brew day time, we are racing against the clock, or turning a recreational activity into an ordeal. This is about making it possible for people to brew, not about setting speed records.

I've brewed 43 batches of beer for far this year....(#44 will be New Year's Eve)... how many times have you brewed? How many times do you suppose I would have brewed if I had had to spend 5 hours each time?

There have been some strange responses here......... one guy who thinks I should punch a time clock while brewing & prep, and another who thinks I should call the boss of the girl at the LHBS and get her fired.

This thread is about trying to get someone into home brewing who thought she couldn't afford the time...... which I personally consider a worthwhile effort. After brewing with me, she can spread the gospel that it doesn't take an entire day to do an all grain brew, nor does it take ton of tuns and other equipment. I started with a single $12 Walmart stockpot and a brew bag (about the same price) and some bottles. I've since scaled up to a larger stock pot that will handle my entire mash, and built a chiller and a floating heater, and managed to pare 2 hours off my brew day. I also bought a BC barley crusher so I could buy grain in 50 pound sacks. One step at a time..........

Somebody please tell me what's wrong with what I'm doing....... I don't get it!

H.W.

H.W.

I think my point was that I want people working for me who are just as passionate about brewing as I am. That can't always happen but the people who interact with customers should be.

If someone was really worried about time commitment, I would recommend a simple indoor partial mash BIAB + extract brew day.

things are done a certain way for a reason. once you understand what youre doing and why you do it that way, its great to cut corners and figure out a better way to do something. as long as those corners and efficiencies don't harm the final product.

I didn't tell you to punch a clock, but if you bring the girl to show her a fast way to brew all grain. you are doing her a disservice if you don't tell her that you spent an hour yesterday prepping for todays brewday. If you do it in 2.5 hours on the brew day but spent an hour the night before, she will think it takes 2.5 hours flat. Not the 3.5 hours it actually takes.

There is a difference between "it takes too many hours" and "it takes too many consecutive hours"

I don't understand where the hostility is coming from? I didn't say it was bad to brew fast or to prep ahead. All I said was to not lie to yourself and think that only the brew day time matters.

It does not sound like she likes to brew.

Tuesday, I staggered 2 all-grain five gallon batches. From firing the burner to end of cleanup was about 7 hours. It could have been 12, and I would have been happy. I enjoy the process as much as the consumption.

A clerk at a LBHS when asked the other day if she was a home brewer replied "it takes too long" ............................. I know she loves home brew, but I also know that the people around her are brewing on complex systems....... 3 tuns, pumps, etc. She's been to a few brew days where guys haul out their equipment. Shiny stainless steel vessels connected to pumps and plumbing with fancy triclamp fittings, and enough valves to confuse even a firefighter!........ a 5-6 hour process including cleanup. She's also been involved in the BIAB process.... a bit faster at 4.5 hours including clean up. She doesn't have 5 hours to commit to brewing......... she has a LIFE!!

I explained that I had refined the process down to 2.5 hours start to finish (grain pre-crushed), and she couldn't believe it.........

I explained how I do an "inline mash", doughing in with hot tap water (130F), and rapidly raising the temp to 145, then very slowly to 155 over 20 minutes. How I can raise to boil from 155 in just 8 minutes using my kitchen stove and my floating 2500 watt heater (home built). How I boil for just 45 minutes at a hard boil instead of an hour or 90 minutes, and how I crash it to pitch temp in just 7 minutes using an immersion heater, a cold water bath, and ice filled tubes floating in the brew.............

She obviously didn't believe me, though she's tried my brews...... and her friends who brew told her I was full of s__t........ or so I assume. The result is that I have to "prove it"..... I refuse to have more than one other person in the kitchen while I brew... there just isn't the space, and I don't need 5 people underfoot. I'm not a "social brewer" like many folks here......... I'm really not a social anything.

Sometime in January I will have a brewing "partner" for one brew session..... She chooses the brew she wants to make and brings the ingredients......... she takes the fermenter home, and from that point on it's "her baby"..... She's too far away, I won't accept any "child support" responsibilities. A friend of hers will rack it into bottles and do the sugar thing. It isn't a date......... she's easily young enough to be my daughter (30 years difference).... so don't get the wrong idea. It may be the start of something beautiful...... someone's exploration into brewing.

Most folks don't brew the way I do........... I hope to communicate some of that idea to her as well......... I don't begin with a recipe, only with ingredients, and a sense of how they can be put together to make something interesting. I sit down in front of the computer and use Brewer's Friend to craft something from the grains and hops I have on hand. I may use two row or pilsner, any of a number of crystal malts, biscuit malts, roast barley, or chocolate malt. I may use some corn sugar or honey, wheat malt, rye malt, flaked corn, cooked rice, torrified wheat, etc. I have about 20 different hops in my freezer..... I'm gradually learning what works and what doesn't, what I like, and what I don't............... Hopefully I'll "show her a good time", launching her into the world of home brewing, and recruiting someone to "spread the word" that brewing can be inexpensive, easy, fun and NOT eat up all your spare time. It really can!!

H.W.
I used to brew on the stovetop with a cooler mashtun.... and now that I have this "complicated" electric system with all the valves and such it takes about 1 1/2hrs LESS to brew and cleanup... I could do the things you do with my system and brew a bit quicker I suppose since I find that with recirculating my conversion is usually done long before the 60 minutes I mash for and the plate chiller only takes 3 minutes to bring 5 gallons to pitching temps but for me the cool thing about my setup is I dont need to rush it... I can set any step with an alarm and when its time to boil I can set my temp controller to bring the boil kettle to 206 degrees and stop, setting off an alarm to tell me its ready for me to bring it the last couple degrees while watching to prevent the boilover...
I guess my point is for some the fancy setup not only makes the brewing process more enjoyable but allows us to do whatever we want around the house without babysitting so it doesnt really matter how long it takes...
I, like most people with "fancy setups" have a dedicated space for my setup and leave it setup and ready to go permanently so pulling things out and putting them away is also not an issue...

To each his own since we do not value the same things equally and have diffent priorities but I am very pleased with the system that I enjoyed building and using.

That said Its cool your trying to share your knowledge with others and it sounds like you may make a homebrewer out of someone who shares your view of getting it over with as quickly as possible.

I think this thread has become a little reactionary. I hope that everyone would agree that Owly is doing a good thing by trying to show someone how to brew. And how to brew in a way that fits her schedule. "She doesn't have five hours to brew". I don't think he was trying to criticize those who enjoy a longer brew day or use more equipment. He is probably justifiably proud of helping a new brewer, and having tailored his methods to meet his needs. I thought about the reaction here and realized that if someone were telling me to have a shorter sailing day, or a quicker visit with my brothers, I'd say they were nuts. But there are many approaches to brewing. I love to brew, but try to streamline my methods too. I wouldn't make instant beer, but I wouldn't do it if it took 8 hours. I'm glad when I can get it under 5, it would be cool for me to do it in 3. If I really wanted it faster, I'd use extract. Instead I enjoy using grain. And to those for whom brewing is your sailing, relish every minute.
Relax, don't argue, have a homebrew.

things are done a certain way for a reason. once you understand what youre doing and why you do it that way, its great to cut corners and figure out a better way to do something. as long as those corners and efficiencies don't harm the final product.

I didn't tell you to punch a clock, but if you bring the girl to show her a fast way to brew all grain. you are doing her a disservice if you don't tell her that you spent an hour yesterday prepping for todays brewday. If you do it in 2.5 hours on the brew day but spent an hour the night before, she will think it takes 2.5 hours flat. Not the 3.5 hours it actually takes.

There is a difference between "it takes too many hours" and "it takes too many consecutive hours"

I don't understand where the hostility is coming from? I didn't say it was bad to brew fast or to prep ahead. All I said was to not lie to yourself and think that only the brew day time matters.

I have no idea where you come up with the absurd idea that I spend an hour prepping the day before........ The ONLY prep is crushing grains which takes about 10 minutes. Suddenly this 10 minutes seems to have grown to an hour in your mind??? That would make the brew day 2 hours and 40 minutes if I did it at the beginning. The reality is that if she does all grain brewing, she will have her grains crushed at the LHBS, so this is beyond nit picky!

H.W.

I used to brew on the stovetop with a cooler mashtun.... and now that I have this "complicated" electric system with all the valves and such it takes about 1 1/2hrs LESS to brew and cleanup... I could do the things you do with my system and brew a bit quicker I suppose since I find that with recirculating my conversion is usually done long before the 60 minutes I mash for and the plate chiller only takes 3 minutes to bring 5 gallons to pitching temps but for me the cool thing about my setup is I dont need to rush it... I can set any step with an alarm and when its time to boil I can set my temp controller to bring the boil kettle to 206 degrees and stop, setting off an alarm to tell me its ready for me to bring it the last couple degrees while watching to prevent the boilover...
I guess my point is for some the fancy setup not only makes the brewing process more enjoyable but allows us to do whatever we want around the house without babysitting so it doesnt really matter how long it takes...
I, like most people with "fancy setups" have a dedicated space for my setup and leave it setup and ready to go permanently so pulling things out and putting them away is also not an issue...

To each his own since we do not value the same things equally and have diffent priorities but I am very pleased with the system that I enjoyed building and using.

That said Its cool your trying to share your knowledge with others and it sounds like you may make a homebrewer out of someone who shares your view of getting it over with as quickly as possible.

Thanks for that..............
I am working toward a more efficient system myself. My current project is designing and building an in-bag circulation system which will move my system toward a semi automated system where I can set things up on a timer before bed, much like people do with coffee pots. It will kick on at a specified time, and heat and circulate by itself so I wake up on brew day with only draining the bag and doing the boil ahead of me. At that point, I won't care if the mash takes 20 minutes or 2 hours.

I am by no means opposed to fancy automated recirculating systems....... I'm obviously headed that way. For new brewers simple is best, and reducing the time, investment, and complexity are key to getting them involved and interested. The simple fact is that if she can't find the time, or justify the investment, or deal with the complexity, she'll never get started. With the guys she works with who do 3 Tun systems and talk about decoction mashing and fly sparging, in all probability she would never get started. I do 2.5 gallon brews.......which is perfect for her. It doesn't take big equipment and heavy lifting, and can be done right in the kitchen with equipment she mostly already has.

I wonder how many people are simply scared off from brewing after seeing complex expensive systems and processes, never realizing how easy it really is??

H.W.

I was under the assumption you were doing a 5 gallon batch. I suspect many others were under the same impression. I think this is the first time you have mentioned batch size in this thread.

Now the 2.5 hours makes sense.

I was under the assumption you were doing a 5 gallon batch. I suspect many others were under the same impression. I think this is the first time you have mentioned batch size in this thread.

Now the 2.5 hours makes sense.

yup, half the beer in half the time lol.

I just don't condone teaching someone short cuts who doesn't know what the task properly involves. You just shouldn't teach improper techniques (drinking hot water tank water, short boil, short mash, etc).

The problem is that YOU know what short cut you are taking and why you are taking it and what it effects in the brew day. When you look at your short mash and see it clear out, you know its converting. If it doesn't clear out, I assume you'd leave it longer till it did. This is because you know your short mash is short, she will think that this is the length of time to mash and not know to go longer if something is not right.

If you end up with a beer that tastes like creamed corn because of your short boil, again YOU will know why it tastes like corn and know you may not have boiled long enough. She will not know why and assume that you did something that you didn't show her, or she did something wrong (which technically she did).

I don't even wanna start on what I think about drinking water from a hot water tank.

We should teach best practices to people who want to learn. This sets up for success. We should not teach sketchy practices to people who do not want to learn or do not have interest.

And as for the hour the day before, I was being general about the people who brag about their speed brewing but don't count the day before. You may not be one of them but you also might be but just don't wanna say it here. I'm gonna go ahead and stand by the comments I've made. :mug:

I dont really want my comments to seem negative so I'm just trying to keep it to the facts as I know them. I understand why the OP posted this thread and I get where hes coming from.
I have replaced a few hot water tanks.... as others are implying the water is full of heavy metals such as iron and theres actually a lot of silt and sand in there with the rust which builds up over time....
I have switched to a tankless system myself with prefilters but even that has a warning that the water from it is not potable... lead solder or some other reasons I'm not aware of perhaps?

In any case I agree its not a good idea for drinking let alone making beer...Water quality i something I recently realised has a larger effect on my beer than I originally believed.
I just purchased a couple $8 water meters.... one is a ph meter and the other is a TDS (total disolved solids) and I learned a few things... first off the water that come out of my RO water system really does have hardly any dissolved minerals and other solids in it (I dont usually use this for brewing since my reef tank takes 3 gallons from the tank every day) and my ph is very high out of my bathroom faucet... I now fill my hlt the night before brewing and let the chemicals dissipate ... I find my ph and TDS readings seem to drop a bit too... I use the 5.2 ph buffer but even using that as recommended only brings my fresh tap water down to about 6.2 vs 5.2 when actually measured...

Have you measured the TDS of the water from a water heater tank and compared it to the cold water? I'm not arguing with you, I'm genuinely curious about this and you have a meter.

It is intuitively obvious from all the junk in the bottom of the tank that the hot water has more dissolved crap, but I suspect it actually has less -- all that stuff precipitated out because it is less soluble in hot water. Kind of like boiling water to decarbonate it. I would be a little concerned about higher magnesium from the sacrificial anode.

Back