Shake mini-kegs? (tap a draft review)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_4iT

Reaction score
So, as some people may know I reuse coors mini kegs currently for conditioning/bottling/kegging beer. Works well currently especially for ease and portability, although looking into investing in a real kegging setup eventually also the cartridges start to become a little expensive. I've reused each keg atleast three times now, and so far only real problem is with one of them the puncture stem broke off and can no longer use cartridges with that particular bottle. My current method, although I keep refining it.. is to prime with 2 tablespoons of dextrose for a week to ten days. Then I cold crash it (seems to help with taste and getting the co2 into the beer, I know most people cold crash before bottling/kegging to seperate the yeast better but don't have room for my buckets).

The first beer has the majority of yeast in it after I cold crash while I sit it on it's side in the fridge, after that smooth sailing. I cold condition for a few days then add a 16 gram food grade co2 cartridge. Now with this last batch I tried also shaking it slightly, not much just a little, and it seems to have worked much better with the head retention and carbonation. I'm not sure though could just be psychosomatic.

Is this necessary to do with thise mini keg's after using cartridges? Will this affect taste in a bad way? If not how much shaking should be involved?

Back