Shake...and Stir?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceManBrew

Reaction score
Ok, doing a big brew this weekend 10 gallons of a 2xIPA that I came up with - 1.112... Looking at 12.5% abv.

Decided to try two different yeast side by side. Scottish Ale and American Ale.

I only have one stir plate, so I threw the American Ale yeast in a 2L starter on the plate. The Scottish Ale yeast created the same 2L starter but have been shaking it intermittently throughout the day. The American Ale yeast finished out (Took it off at ~23 hours put it in the fridge) and was finally able to put the Scottish Ale yeast on the stir plate. It still has plenty left to go, so my question... Has anyone come across a yeast growth curve that talks about shaking then stirring? Am I over thinking this? Would the shaking be 'canceled' out and I just start looking at the stirring curve? (just at a delay/slow start) This makes sense but I am not 100%, so I thought I would ask.

Before anyone says that I wont have enough yeast to pitch a 1.112, I'm decanting and stepping the starter. lol. Which is why I'm trying to estimate my yeast! I'm getting excited for a side by side brew, never done it, should be pretty cool experiment. :ban:

Cheers.

Mrmalty.com will tell you the approximate amount of yeast created with shaking vs. stir plate.

Stirring will provide constant oxygen for the yeasts lag (growth) phase.
Depening on the gravity of the shaken starter it may not be nessasry to spin in (the yeast have gone thru the lag phase)
I would top off the starter will fresh wort and throw it on the sitrplate.

For calculations, measure it at Mr malty with the shaken method to be safe.

For calculations, measure it at Mr malty with the shaken method to be safe.

I've been using those numbers now to figure out my pitch rate. I think I might go with the shaken, though I would like to see the difference. Since I put the shaken starter on the stir plate (about ~11 hours) it still bubbling slightly. I feel like it might still reach the same amount of cells/ml but of course I have no numbers to back me up.

Whoever comes over and counts all the yeast for me can have the rest of this damn halloween candy. All of it. PLEASE TAKE IT! lol

Back