SG achieved, why wait to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomToro

Reaction score
Hope I don't rile anybody up with this question, but I've got an IPA that hit my target sg and it's been steady for two days. Unfortunately it's only been 12 days since create and I know folks say keep it going for 3 weeks.

What will I be missing if I cold crash now for a couple of days, bottle/prime and condition for a month at room temps(70)?

Thanks,
Tom

two weeks is fine and another week is just a buffer for your own convenience. The main thing is giving yeast time to clean up after themselves.

Thats only 2 days from 2 weeks wich is when I bottle most of my beers. Has it cleared?
If you feel good about it go ahead and bottle.

Tom, not trying to be a smart a$$ but you're going to have many people tell you to let it go at least three weeks in primary before you rack to a bottling bucket and bottle.

Sometimes the best answer comes from your own experience. So you could rack half to a bottling bucket prime, bottle and condition for a month. The other half you could let continue to "clean up" in the primary and then bottle it in 2 more weeks. Treat both beers the same after bottled, and do a taste testiing in a month few months. Just a thought. :mug:

two weeks is fine and another week is just a buffer for your own convenience. The main thing is giving yeast time to clean up after themselves.

I guess I'll give it another week since I dry hopped on the 5th. What does it mean to give the yeast time to clean up? Do you mean settle to the bottom or is it more than that?

Thats only 2 days from 2 weeks wich is when I bottle most of my beers. Has it cleared?
If you feel good about it go ahead and bottle.

It hasn't really cleared, but definitely stopped any sg changing. I was hoping the cold crash would help clear it some.

Tom, not trying to be a smart a$$ but you're going to have many people tell you to let it go at least three weeks in primary before you rack to a bottling bucket and bottle.

Sometimes the best answer comes from your own experience. So you could rack half to a bottling bucket prime, bottle and condition for a month. The other half you could let continue to "clean up" in the primary and then bottle it in 2 more weeks. Treat both beers the same after bottled, and do a taste testiing in a month few months. Just a thought. :mug:

I actually did that with my first batch (4 two-liters at two weeks and 4-two liters at three) and the second (longer fermenting) bottling tasted much better (more flavor). Then somebody told me not to do that because I changed the head space and it causes oxidation. I really didn't notice any of that, but then I don't know what to look or taste for so I might've.

There are byproducts of fermentation that are created and the yeast clean these up after they're done converting sugars. Other "off flavors" can be reduced as a result of giving it more time on the yeast, too. Some guys leave beer in the FV for months...I'm sure it's not just for the heck of it.

There are byproducts of fermentation that are created and the yeast clean these up after they're done converting sugars. Other "off flavors" can be reduced as a result of giving it more time on the yeast, too. Some guys leave beer in the FV for months...I'm sure it's not just for the heck of it.

That's the first time anybody explained it to me. I was just told to leave it alone and now I know why. Thanks!

Sadly, I think a lot of folks are doing it "just for the heck of it." The cleanup you mention only takes a few days if you've brewed properly to begin with. I routinely keg my ales after 10 to 14 days in the primary.

As some of the members of the month-long-primary club are keen to note, the yeast follow their own schedule, not yours. I think that applies to the shorter side of a fermentation as well as the longer side. If your beer is at FG and tastes good, it's an appropriate time to package it. The same advice applies at 10 days or 10 weeks.

Latest posts

Back