Sewage in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are not banned anywhere I know. Maybe in your state... they DO put a lot more pressure on a small footprint in 4 spots and floors have to be designed to handle that load of 80 gallons of water plus a human. They hook to a drain like any other tub...

Wow, regardless of the pump being backwards or not a proper air gap on a drain virtually eliminates any possible chance of back flow into a system, why do you think old claw foot tubs got banned?

Sterilize with boiling water, even the pump if it can handle that heat. Otherwise take it apart, scrub each piece of the ump head then soak in sanitizer for awhile. No worse than have sewage back into a basement... wash it down, toss anything porous, spray the rest with bleach.

Ready to try again! Brewpot sanitized. We scrubbed and my buddy even went over it quickly with a propane torch. Ran ozicklean and hot water thru pump for like 39 mins. Back to drawing board. Have a beer with me here for the next journey. GreAt one, sculpin. Cheers!

302pg82.jpg

Better yet, I want to see your pump connection to the sewer line???

How did this happen? Please don't tell me you stuck the line down the toilet trap?

We had a good brew session. I used the cupcakes in the mash mostly and some in the boil. At first we thought we had a smell in the mash maybe from the issue a few
Days back but we cleaned too well. I think all is well. Really looking forward to how this strawberry cupcake stout will come out. I think this is Mell’s flagship beer. I didn’t remove the frosting so we would get that natural and authentic strawberry flavoring.

I’ve been taking with a lot of people who say it’s fine. Will bottle this and will be entering this in the brewing competition.

We had a good brew session. I used the cupcakes in the mash mostly and some in the boil. At first we thought we had a smell in the mash maybe from the issue a few
Days back but we cleaned too well. I think all is well. Really looking forward to how this strawberry cupcake stout will come out. I think this is Mell’s flagship beer. I didn’t remove the frosting so we would get that natural and authentic strawberry flavoring.

And the OP confesses that the thread was a troll from the get go.

Brew on :mug:

If we don't hear back from you then we'll know your sterilization routine was insufficient.

I can't believe I read this whole thread.

Hey, at least you weren't an ignorant sentimentalist about crap in contact with food, as I apparently am. :D

Well, dude, if you can't stomach a little raw sewage, then you're just a wuss..

Survival of the fittest, and all that.

Better to just give up brewing and stick with baking strawberry cupcakes....

I mean, how to you expect to toughen up your immune system if you don't chug down some raw sewage now and then...

(I'm with the clean and sanitize crowd by the way... Wouldn't toss anything until I'd given it a cleaning and sanitizing... That's the point of stainless, after all... Maybe the any plastics, but not stainless or silicone)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I think I’m understanding the problem. I was confusing two of my conversations on here. In my other conversation I had discussed cupcakes I had access to and wanting to try something with my beer that may be something no one has done before. I noticed now that in this conversation I brought the cupcakes up randomly and I think that’s why everyone thinks I’m now making things up. I apologize for this.

I can now report this morning that there is activity in the fermenter it is bubbling wildly. Lots of blow off and what not. Trust me when I say we were very very thorough with how well we cleaned our cattle. I would not want to take any chances especially when wanting to enter a beer and a competition. Time will tell I think how well we did but I think we nailed it on this one. And I’m very excited as this is only really my first time making beer. But my buddy Pedro he has.

I'm with the clean and sanitize crowd by the way... Wouldn't toss anything until I'd given it a cleaning and sanitizing... That's the point of stainless, after all... Maybe the any plastics, but not stainless or silicone

My entire point isn't that you have to worry about the stainless - though there's no way in hell I'd quaff anything from "Triple F Brewing Company's" offerings...Faecal Frosting Froth just doesn't make say, "I'll have another, brother."

My point is there's a reason we have sanitary fittings. Because they can be sanitized, and other options, cannot truly be, without an incredible degree of difficulty and diligence. Screw interfaces, improper welds, etc. - we're talking unreachable microorganisms, not macro-deposits of poop.

Anyway, like I said above, I'm hugely into raw milk, cheese - and I know how close that off-white deliciousness is drawn to some brown-green undeliciousness. Everything has its process. I was an OR scrub corpsman, yes, French chef longer than the two gents who decided to call me ignorant and overly emotional have likely been alive, played a very small part in daily QC at Goose Island (micro sampling in packaging; dO2 and dCO2). In each world, there were requirements; and this is one, with its requirements.

There is no absolute and it all comes down to risk, and what you're willing to live with. Call me risk averse to any food surface, of any kind, contaminated with oodles of poo goo.

Faecal Frosting Frothery. Free, it's yours, troll-P.

Pic from earlier. Very cold here, was snowing but in my basement temperatures should be fine for the stout. I was reading some things on here and it seems like what I should do is let this ferment for a few days then add the remaining ingredient and let age for a few more days, then I will check gravity and whatnot. Will post questions here I'm sure I will have many! Cheers! -Mell

23m3fi8.png

My entire point isn't that you have to worry about the stainless - though there's no way in hell I'd quaff anything from "Triple F Brewing Company's" offerings...Faecal Frosting Froth just doesn't make say, "I'll have another, brother."

My point is there's a reason we have sanitary fittings. Because they can be sanitized, and other options, cannot truly be, without an incredible degree of difficulty and diligence. Screw interfaces, improper welds, etc. - we're talking unreachable microorganisms, not macro-deposits of poop.

Anyway, like I said above, I'm hugely into raw milk, cheese - and I know how close that off-white deliciousness is drawn to some brown-green undeliciousness. Everything has its process. I was an OR scrub corpsman, yes, French chef longer than the two gents who decided to call me ignorant and overly emotional have likely been alive, played a very small part in daily QC at Goose Island (micro sampling in packaging; dO2 and dCO2). In each world, there were requirements; and this is one, with its requirements.

There is no absolute and it all comes down to risk, and what you're willing to live with. Call me risk averse to any food surface, of any kind, contaminated with oodles of poo goo.

Faecal Frosting Frothery. Free, it's yours, troll-P.

Guys I think you're greatly overthinking this. We cleaned our pots and pump and I even used chlorine. Not getting into all the steps but was very thorough and these pieces as we know are designed to withstand bacteria and designed to be cleaned. And we cleaned them. I know human waste is dangerous but It's not like I'm trying to cleaning a sponge here, I'm cleaning parts that are designed to be steralized. But I am glad I have maybe inspired some debate with my issue, it seems everyone has the same problems here but I'm the lucky one who has brought a new problem?

Cleaned.
Sanitized.
Sterilized.

KNowing these 3, is a start. Conflating any of them, with poop removal from food contact surfaces, is trouble. Not all things in the brewing business are built to be sanitary - hence, sanitary T/C fittings. Ball valves, are not. Full of built up wort critter gunk, yuck. Built up with human crap. Er. Uh., um.

it seems everyone has the same problems here

I can tell you, I do not have an urgent need to devise a frosted strawberry cupcake faecal-brew. But then, I'm an ignorant sentimentalist.:ban:

Cleaned.
Sanitized.
Sterilized.

KNowing these 3, is a start. Conflating any of them, with poop removal from food contact surfaces, is trouble. Not all things in the brewing business are built to be sanitary - hence, sanitary T/C fittings. Ball valves, are not. Full of built up wort critter gunk, yuck. Built up with human crap. Er. Uh., um.

I can tell you, I do not have an urgent need to devise a frosted strawberry cupcake faecal-brew. But then, I'm an ignorant sentimentalist.:ban:

There are german cupcake stouts and raspberry chocolate porters and the list goes on. Just because it's not a style you enjoy doesn't make it wrong, or better yet something to harass me over. Plenty of people post here about infection in their beer and you probably have too, so lots of mistakes being made out there but somehow I'm now the butt of a joke and defending myself to a few guys who want to push around the newbies.

No one is pushing around a newby and we're not critical of a cupcake beer. And as far as I know no one here has ever ran sewage through their system. I know you feel you've cleaned well enough but if it were me I would replace EVERYTHING that isn't metal. That includes valve innards, tubing, pump parts, etc. If you're still using any of those things I think you have a responsibility to warn anyone who tries your brew before they take a drink.

No one is pushing around a newby and we're not critical of a cupcake beer. And as far as I know no one here has ever ran sewage through their system. I know you feel you've cleaned well enough but if it were me I would replace EVERYTHING that isn't metal. That includes valve innards, tubing, pump parts, etc. If you're still using any of those things I think you have a responsibility to warn anyone who tries your brew before they take a drink.

I think as we've seen on this thread it's controversial and can go either way many are saying what I've done is enough and others don't agree, so we agree to disagree on this what is a honest debate.

There are german cupcake stouts and raspberry chocolate porters and the list goes on. Just because it's not a style you enjoy doesn't make it wrong, or better yet something to harass me over. Plenty of people post here about infection in their beer and you probably have too, so lots of mistakes being made out there but somehow I'm now the butt of a joke and defending myself to a few guys who want to push around the newbies.

Please understand, I'm only not a fan of German poopcake stouts and Raspberry fudgesludge porters.

If you're not a troll, and I'm sorry, I believe you are, then I find you are behaving in a wildly and dangerously irresponsible manner. I can be flamed for my comments, which is fine; it's simply my opinion, as I stated from the outset.

Please understand, I'm only not a fan of German poopcake stouts and Raspberry fudgesludge porters.

If you're not a troll, and I'm sorry, I believe you are, then I find you are behaving in a wildly and dangerously irresponsible manner. I can be flamed for my comments, which is fine; it's simply my opinion, as I stated from the outset.

I underatand and first I will see if I'm made a beer that works. I know I'm taking a chance with the ingredients that I'm choosing but hopeful. I certainly do not want to infect anybody and will consider skipping this competition. Maybe I will fine tune the recipe after first try and enter next time but I have time to think about it. i truly consider what you are saying but as you see others don't agree so many sides to consider. And you are free to feel I am lying, it's your choice and I don't have ways or honestly any desire to prove otherwise, I'm here for help which many have provided without name calling. -Mell

Hi mom. Yes I can be there the 12th of December but I need to have the pick up truck back to the shop on the 14th of December so I will not be there when uncle James is there. I am sorry but I cannot make it work. Yes, spaghetti and meatballs is fine. I'm sorry to be so short, I am in the truck and using voice to text for typing. I will call you when I get back to the house. Goodbye.

Hi mom. Yes I can be there the 12th of December but I need to have the pick up truck back to the shop on the 14th of December so I will not be there when uncle James is there. I am sorry but I cannot make it work. Yes, spaghetti and meatballs is fine. I'm sorry to be so short, I am in the truck and using voice to text for typing. I will call you when I get back to the house. Goodbye.

New phone. Who dis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back