Set up not big enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABI Brewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, its been quite a while since my last post but here I am again, I have a 10 gallon recirculating system that i based off of the Brewtus, and good for me my wife is wondering if I can make bigger batches, anyway I am thinking of trying to do a high gravity and diluting it in fermenter, I am finishing up some of the Kama Citra kits that I got on NBs kit sale, but I have 6 of them so i thinking about doing 3 at a time on a system that I usually only do 2, then diluting in fermenter, do anyone have any pointers on this.

It can be done but you should run the recipes through brewing software at the concentrated recipe to see how it will affect hop utilization. Also consider how the efficiency of your mash may change at a thicker consistency.

That ^ most definitely. You're changing things up quite a bit. 50% higher gravity!

First off, diluting hoppier beers is generally not recommended, at least from what I've read. IIRC, there's something that cannot be replaced/counteracted by brewing more concentrated beer.

From what I understand, hop utilization is usually referred to in context of the amount of bittering added to your wort during the boil, and steeps and whirlpools above 170F. Flavor and aroma extraction are not influenced by utilization % (within reason), AFAIK.

So by using extra (early) bittering hops you can counteract the lower hop utilization due to the 50% higher boil gravity, which is significant! For your late boil and higher temp whirlpool additions, the bittering will be less too, for the same reason. So you could either use more hops there too, or add more to the early bittering charge.

AFAIK, flavor and aroma extraction are not hampered by increased gravity (within reason).

IMO, all kits are kinda skimpy on hops, so using a few more ounces could/should make it better, adding more hop flavor and aroma. Then when you dilute in your fermenters it should come out around the same. Dry hop with the same oz per gallon, as you normally do. Or for more flavor/aroma up those charges too.

If you like the bittering profile you've been getting, aim at 50% extra of both early boil and late boil/whirlpool IBUs in the recipe software when changing things.

Back