Session Beer Recipe-help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellaontap

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought Beersmith and have been playing around trying to develop a recipe for a good session beer. Even though my friends have liked the beers I have brewed so far, they still say they could only drink a couple of them before switching to something else. So here is the recipe.

7 lbs. Canadian 2 row malt
2 lbs. Munich Malt
1 lbs. flaked rice

Mash at 154 F for 60 min

Boil 60 Minutes .5 ounce Saaz
15 minutes .75 ounce Saaz
5 minutes .5 ounce Saaz

I will be using Wyeast 2112 with a 2 liter starter. The IBUs for this beer according to Beersmith will be 14.2

I am looking for ANY feedback and suggestions that I can get for this recipe. :tank:

Eric

It depends on what kind of session beer you like. I tend to go for something like a mild. There's a ton of good recipes for those in the database. As far as your recipe, I would suggest some crystal malt for flavor, as I'd imagine all 2 row and Munich would be pretty bland. If you want to keep it really pale about half a pound of 10L or 20L would work.

Bob's session mild in the databse is fantastic. I could drink it by the bucketload and it is ready in no time.

One key to drinkability is attenuation. I'd mash that lower. 20% Munich is a bit much for a light lager/cream ale. 10% rice is low. I'd replace a pound of Munich with a pound of rice, corn, sugar or even corn starch.

Thanks for the responses.

One key to drinkability is attenuation. I'd mash that lower. 20% Munich is a bit much for a light lager/cream ale. 10% rice is low. I'd replace a pound of Munich with a pound of rice, corn, sugar or even corn starch.

So if I'm understanding you right I would change recipe to have 2 lbs. flaked rice and 1 lb Munich malt.

Also, what do you think of the hops? I have never used Saaz before so I don't really know what flavour they will add.

Eric

Thanks Conroe

I am going to add 1 ounce of Saaz for 60 minutes (which will raise the IBU's to 21.5) and will also mash at a lower temp.... like 150 F

I really like the beers that I have made so far, but , when I give it to other people the say it's really good and then take 20 minutes to drink it. If I give them Bud they're banging their glass on the bar in 10 minutes for another beer. I want to accustom them to good homebrew 5 gallons at a time:D and before you know it they'll all be beer connissuers:p

Eric

Back