Seriously the easiest DIY ever for bottling bucket dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked one of these up tonight and had the same issue. Will have to take the hacksaw to it tomorrow.

Mine was a very very close fit. It would hit the bottom if screwed on with the elbow so I held it in place and twisted the faucet around.

Very "yes" to this modification. Too cheap not to try and too awesome to forget!

I'm sure it's in my head but the only issue I saw was that there is a small air bubble trapped in the body of the valve that never really goes away due to the U-tube effect. I haven't figured out how to "burp" it out without dipping my hands in beer. But hey, I've never noticed oxidation notes in any homebrew I've bottled so, awesome post and thanks!

Damn, I was at Home Depot last night and would have picked one of these up if I saw this earlier. I'll have to remember to get one of these next time I go.

I just bottled my steam beer after buying this from Home Depot. It worked amazingly well! Bottling was so easy. Thank you google-lords for letting me have seen this thread in the first place :)

I can't remember where I saw this first, but I have been using it ever since. It is a great idea. Glad you re-posted it.

Just bottled today without this mod in my bucket.... last time that happens...

Bumping this for others who are not in the know!

I grabbed the 3/4" elbow as described at Lowe's and the threads don't match up with the threads on the spigot! It didn't seem right at the store but I took it home anyways to see if it changed in the bucket...to no avail :confused:
Has anyone else had this issue and maybe it is different coming from a different shop?

The mod does not work with my bottling bucket either. However the spigot threads into a thicker part that already has threads cut. No internal nut to tighten.

I know most here use it in a bottling bucket, but I was thinking of using this in a secondary. Would it being submerged for days be a problem?

I used something similar for years (don't bottle any more). This is very similar to the simple PVC piece recommended. I'd argue it's marginally better due to less threads to clean and a smaller diameter dip tube. But if you need to order stuff from Williams anyway, add it to your order. Get two of them because if you're bottling you should be doing two bottles at a time IMO.

E47.JPG

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/INVERT_TUBE_BACKNUT-P179C104.aspx

Tried this out on my new More Beer bottling bucket, but 3/4" doesn't fit the spigot threads. Back to the drawing board.
UPDATE: I bought a different spigot on Amazon for ~$6, plus an elbow from Lowes for $0.98. I took ~1/4 in off the elbow to make it fit, but it fits and works like a champ! I did a water leak test tonight in anticipation of a bottling session on Friday. Five gallons of water with no leaks, and after draining through my elbow/spigot, I was left with a grand total of 3 oz of water in the bucket! Amazing! Thanks for the tip!

I couldn't find the elbow piece in PVC. However, I ended up finding the right size, but its brass. Its not the most elegant hunk of metal, but it should do the trick.

Would brass affect the beer taste or is there any potential absorption of lead?

PXL_20210305_212243509.jpg

Just bought a PVC elbow myself. Can’t wait to not do a balancing act for the last 10% of the beer.

UPDATE: I bought a different spigot on Amazon for ~$6, plus an elbow from Lowes for $0.98. I took ~1/4 in off the elbow to make it fit, but it fits and works like a champ! I did a water leak test tonight in anticipation of a bottling session on Friday. Five gallons of water with no leaks, and after draining through my elbow/spigot, I was left with a grand total of 3 oz of water in the bucket! Amazing! Thanks for the tip!

Happen to have a link for that specific spigot? The one I have been using came with my bottling bucket, but it's getting a bit worn and I have am having a hard time finding one with the right threads. I bought two different ones from Amazon, but the threads were a bit to fine for the PVC elbow.

Interesting. I ordered those exact same ones and the threads were different than the elbows I bought from Lowes. Maybe my local Lowes has a slightly different elbow than yours.
Now that you mention it, I think I had to make a couple of trips to Lowe's before I got it right. Take the spigot to Lowe's and try it on the elbows before you purchase. I think some are threaded differently.

This idea is still bearing fruit. I bottled with a PVC 3/4" to flush elbow last night and it worked just as hoped. Measured the offset to get a 1/16" gap at the bottom, cut with a hacksaw, de-burred and sanded a bit. Used a knife to trim the face of the threaded side more flush for a seal against the bucket wall.

This idea is still bearing fruit. I bottled with a PVC 3/4" to flush elbow last night and it worked just as hoped. Measured the offset to get a 1/16" gap at the bottom, cut with a hacksaw, de-burred and sanded a bit. Used a knife to trim the face of the threaded side more flush for a seal against the bucket wall.
I still bottle from time to time and still use the same PVC elbow. I didn't make any modification on the threaded side though. A simple rubber or silicone washer seals it well enough.

I still bottle from time to time and still use the same PVC elbow. I didn't make any modification on the threaded side though. A simple rubber or silicone washer seals it well enough.
My bucket/spigot came with just an exterior conical gasket. I'll pick up a thin silicone gasket for the interior sometime.

Latest posts

Back