• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Seriously the easiest DIY ever for bottling bucket dip tube

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

nab911

Reaction score
I picked one of these up tonight and had the same issue. Will have to take the hacksaw to it tomorrow.
Mine was a very very close fit. It would hit the bottom if screwed on with the elbow so I held it in place and twisted the faucet around.

Brewskii

Reaction score
Very "yes" to this modification. Too cheap not to try and too awesome to forget!

I'm sure it's in my head but the only issue I saw was that there is a small air bubble trapped in the body of the valve that never really goes away due to the U-tube effect. I haven't figured out how to "burp" it out without dipping my hands in beer. But hey, I've never noticed oxidation notes in any homebrew I've bottled so, awesome post and thanks!

STEVESKI

Reaction score
Damn, I was at Home Depot last night and would have picked one of these up if I saw this earlier. I'll have to remember to get one of these next time I go.

firestem4

Reaction score
I just bottled my steam beer after buying this from Home Depot. It worked amazingly well! Bottling was so easy. Thank you google-lords for letting me have seen this thread in the first place :)

Painter

Reaction score
I can't remember where I saw this first, but I have been using it ever since. It is a great idea. Glad you re-posted it.

bford

Reaction score
Just bottled today without this mod in my bucket.... last time that happens...

Bumping this for others who are not in the know!

orionol73

Reaction score
I grabbed the 3/4" elbow as described at Lowe's and the threads don't match up with the threads on the spigot! It didn't seem right at the store but I took it home anyways to see if it changed in the bucket...to no avail :confused:
Has anyone else had this issue and maybe it is different coming from a different shop?

fuzzy2133

Reaction score
The mod does not work with my bottling bucket either. However the spigot threads into a thicker part that already has threads cut. No internal nut to tighten.

Tombsy

Reaction score
I know most here use it in a bottling bucket, but I was thinking of using this in a secondary. Would it being submerged for days be a problem?

Reaction score
I used something similar for years (don't bottle any more). This is very similar to the simple PVC piece recommended. I'd argue it's marginally better due to less threads to clean and a smaller diameter dip tube. But if you need to order stuff from Williams anyway, add it to your order. Get two of them because if you're bottling you should be doing two bottles at a time IMO.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/INVERT_TUBE_BACKNUT-P179C104.aspx

3 Dawg Night

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tried this out on my new More Beer bottling bucket, but 3/4" doesn't fit the spigot threads. Back to the drawing board.
UPDATE: I bought a different spigot on Amazon for ~$6, plus an elbow from Lowes for $0.98. I took ~1/4 in off the elbow to make it fit, but it fits and works like a champ! I did a water leak test tonight in anticipation of a bottling session on Friday. Five gallons of water with no leaks, and after draining through my elbow/spigot, I was left with a grand total of 3 oz of water in the bucket! Amazing! Thanks for the tip!