Semi experienced brewer with a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChopperBri

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 2 years so far. This is my first post. I brewed an Imperial IPA Sunday and had a question. I checked my OG 1.074 as I was siphoning it into the carboy. I made a 2000ml starter the day before. My question is will my starter raise my OG any points? Should I have checked my OG after I added the starter? I'm not concerned about anything but just was curious. Thanks for any info.

Technically it will lower the SG at the time of pitching (if you want to call this your OG) as the starter will be fermented out. But this is irrelevant because it's not really an OG. In your case if you had a 5.5 gallon batch, it might measure around 1.068. If made properly, the starter would also slightly lower the overall %alcohol since it has a lower ABV compared to the ABV potential of your main batch. But you will have more volume of beer.

Back