Seltzer; looking for info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 302314

Reaction score
Hey all, I just put on my first batch of Seltzer and it's day 4 into fermentation and progressing nicely. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info around (that I could find) for the steps after brewing. What I can't seem to land on is a solid idea of how long the fermentation "should" usually take. I read 2 weeks, sometimes 3 weeks. What about racking to a secondary?

Also, when I pitched my second batch of yeast/nutrient, I experiences a tremendous reaction which resulted in a bubbling over onto my floor. Picture a 5th grade science experiment baking soda volcano sort of thing. Has anyone else experienced this?
My packet of yeast/nutrient said to pitch dry... I wonder if I rehydrate if I would have this same issue... ?
seen here: Hard Seltzer Yeast and Nutrient – 25g

Anyhow, wondering if any of you more experienced folk may have some info to share?

The seltzer kits I have made from Williams Brewing have all finished in less than 10 days. Around 6 or 7 as I recall. Yeast nutrient is the key.

if you are fermenting in a carboy with minimal head space I can see how you might have gotten the overflow. Pitching dry is common.

What yeast did you use?

The seltzer kits I have made from Williams Brewing have all finished in less than 10 days. Around 6 or 7 as I recall. Yeast nutrient is the key.

if you are fermenting in a carboy with minimal head space I can see how you might have gotten the overflow. Pitching dry is common.

What yeast did you use?
I used Mangrove jacks Yeast & Nutrient, seen here: Hard Seltzer Yeast and Nutrient - 25g

I am fermenting in a 27 liter fermonster and I have around 18/19 liters of seltzer in it.
Did you rack to a secondary with those kits? Did you use a fining agent?
when I checked on it this morning, seems activity has all but stopped. This is day 5 of fermentation. I'm going to let it stand a few more days but I'm not sure if I need to rack it or not.

We're homebrewers not brew pubs or tap rooms. Why not just add a clear high alcohol liquor to a keg of water using the mixing formula to achieve the ABV you seek? It could be carbed and you could add the flavoring to individual glasses.

We're homebrewers not brew pubs or tap rooms. Why not just add a clear high alcohol liquor to a keg of water using the mixing formula to achieve the ABV you seek? It could be carbed and you could add the flavoring to individual glasses.
I thought of that, but I wanted to make it from scratch. The theory seems simple enough however, there isn't a lot of experienced folk to offer suggestion in this area it seems.
Trial and error is fun, it's how I learn :) I don't have a keg setup yet so I'm bottling and adding flavor to each glass may be tougher to achieve consistency than if I were to flavor the batch prior to bottling.. as most seem to suggest.

I can say that adding flavor in the form of flavored citric acid,(Koolaid) was tasty and had a nice bite that made you want another sip.
Using those packs would allow you to do 2 qts at a time of different ones. I love experimenting with this hobby..........I mean obsession.
It's the ones you need to add sugar to. I use them to clean my dishwasher also. Last time I got some they were .15c each.

That's really neat.. My local grocery stores don't seem to carry Koolaid anymore.. all I have access to as far as flavor crystals go is Tang and Lemonade. Oh, and those concentrated flavor additives like Mio and such. Which may be nice to try at some point.
I picked up a Mango flavor extract from my local supply store to use for flavoring. I hope it works out alright.
Obsession? nailed it!
I'm only a couple months in and I'm hooked!!

I can say that adding flavor in the form of flavored citric acid,(Koolaid) was tasty and had a nice bite that made you want another sip.
Using those packs would allow you to do 2 qts at a time of different ones. I love experimenting with this hobby..........I mean obsession.
It's the ones you need to add sugar to. I use them to clean my dishwasher also. Last time I got some they were .15c each.
Also, did you rack to a secondary with your seltzer kit?

I used Mangrove jacks Yeast & Nutrient, seen here: Hard Seltzer Yeast and Nutrient - 25g

I am fermenting in a 27 liter fermonster and I have around 18/19 liters of seltzer in it.
Did you rack to a secondary with those kits? Did you use a fining agent?
when I checked on it this morning, seems activity has all but stopped. This is day 5 of fermentation. I'm going to let it stand a few more days but I'm not sure if I need to rack it or not.
Yes. I moved it to a secondary. First one I made I left it on the yeast (EC-1118) and did not like the final result.

Yes. I moved it to a secondary. First one I made I left it on the yeast (EC-1118) and did not like the final result.
And how long did you let it sit in the primary?
I’m day 5 right now and activity has stopped completely. I plan to take a gravity reading today but feel like I should rack soon, perhaps tomorrow.

And how long did you let it sit in the primary?
I’m day 5 right now and activity has stopped completely. I plan to take a gravity reading today but feel like I should rack soon, perhaps tomorrow.
I guess that might depend upon the yeast. My kit said to move it when SG was below 1.004. Mine was .994 when I transferred.

If you put dry/crystalline yeast nutrient into an active fermentation what most likely happened is you caused it to degas, aggressively. Those CO2 bubbles need a nucleation point to form. Every one of the particles you added as a dry solid act as many, many, many nucleation points, resulting in the foam over. Next time try dissolving the solids first and then add, slowly. It should help, but not sure if the new yeast will still nucleate or not. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Update:
Seltzer is done and tasted.
Used Mangrove Jacks Yeast + Nutrient
Seen here:
HARD SELTZER YEAST AND NUTRIENT

Going by a few online resources and advice given here. I pitched a total of 4 times (0hrs, 24hrs, 48hrs, 72hrs)
Activity at 0, 24 were spectacular, 48hrs was noticeably less explosive however there was some activity, 72hrs was null. Adding small amounts of yeast/nutrient at a time helped greatly with the volcano.

Next time I will only pitch 3 times removing the 72hr pitch.
This resulted in a distinct yeast aroma at pour and smell from the glass. On advice, I let it sit for an additional 2 weeks, and that yeast hit was diminished greatly, but still there. This should be corrected by removing the 4th pitch.

The flavoring I used was a mango extract, Seen here:
BREWER'S BEST NATURAL MANGO FLAVORING
I found the flavor to be "just ok". I used 4oz for my full 23L batch and I found the flavor a little weak. It is under the recommended amount for the size of my batch. My thought was because I don't like things very sweet, this might combat that. The end result was not sweet at all, and when tasting the extract directly from the bottle, it wasn't overly sweet at all. Next time I will use the recommended amount.

I'm going to brew another batch, but I am DEFINITELY going to use a different yeast. I tried to order Omega LUTRA KVEIK (OYL-071), but my local suppliers can't get it in.
I would love to hear other options for a clean fermenting yeast.
Considering EC1118 or US-05 as options for my next go'round; in combination with DAP.

All in all, I'm happy with the product. Very clear and well carbonated. I nice alternative to white claw. My wife enjoyed so it must have been half decent ;)

suggestions for yeast alternatives?

Lutra is what the breweries I work at use for all their seltzers
I've been trying to get Lutra at any of my local suppliers for 2 months now. I don't want to order it online because the cost is astronomical compared to buying at retail...
I'm on numerous "order" lists.. not sure what will happen if they all come in at the same time.... :oops:

I bought a seltzer kit from Williams Brewing last week, and I'll be making it soon. I have three questions for those that have been making seltzer:

1 - Do I have to worry about oxidation since there are no hops? The instructions say to stir it vigorously every couple days, which is something I would never do with beer.

2 - The kit gives yeast nutrient and says to put it in with the yeast. On other threads, they mention adding nutrient every couple days for the first week. Is one dose of nutrient enough?

3 - I ferment my beer under pressure so that it's fully carbonated at the end of fermentation. Has anyone done that with seltzer? I guess it would be a little more difficult if I have to open the lid every 2 days, but it would be nice to save on CO2.

I bought a seltzer kit from Williams Brewing last week, and I'll be making it soon. I have three questions for those that have been making seltzer:

1 - Do I have to worry about oxidation since there are no hops? The instructions say to stir it vigorously every couple days, which is something I would never do with beer.

2 - The kit gives yeast nutrient and says to put it in with the yeast. On other threads, they mention adding nutrient every couple days for the first week. Is one dose of nutrient enough?

3 - I ferment my beer under pressure so that it's fully carbonated at the end of fermentation. Has anyone done that with seltzer? I guess it would be a little more difficult if I have to open the lid every 2 days, but it would be nice to save on CO2.
I used their nutrient pack at pitch and did subsequent additions of nutrient every other day. Stirred but not aggressively.
Oxidation should jot bean issue.

Can’t help with number 3.

Back