Selling Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjporr

Reaction score
How do some your local HBS store deal with liquid yeast? And by this I mean do they always have a fresh stock, large selection, multiple brands, or even out of date strains? I'm finding that liquid yeast is the one product I'm having the hardest time with not having a loss because of the shelf life on it. A good portion of the time I receive in new yeast it only has a 3 month best buy date and most of the time 1 month is already gone by the time I receive it.

Do you ever make a starter? If your yeast is still within the best before date, a yeast starter will get you where you need to be.

Seems like the problem is with the distributor you are buying from. Can you purchase directly from the producer for your supplies?

My LHBS keeps everything rotated somehow. When it's past the date he just goes half price to move it. If I'm in the right place at the right time I pick them up. I don't mind because I usually do multi step starters anyway. Usually he only buys 1 or 2 packs of each yeast he carries. If he's out in wyeast he'll usually have something comparable in white labs. But otherwise, he's always happy to order it for you and it's there on his next delivery.

I'm interpreting this like you're running a homebrew shop, looking to get the freshest yeast possible. Am I correct?

My various locals have some a limited supply of liquid yeast, and one in particular tends to always have out-of-date yeast. As a result I mostly use dry yeast (US-05, S-04, Belle Saison), and with Mangrove Jack's new strains coming on the market soon I'll hopefully have even less need of liquid strains.

Of course it's expected for a shop to have at least a few liquid strains, so you could focus on the most popular strains that you know will sell, and maybe a couple others. What kind of turnover do you have on liquid yeast? Do you find that they're constantly going out of date before you can sell them? Unfortunately they do have a relatively short shelf life.

Back