Selecting PID for chest freezer/kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazza

Reaction score
I am needing help picking a PID to use for my chest freezer converted into a kegerator....

I want one that will flip an SSR that turns on the freezer's condensing unit. I would like to be able to control its cycle on and off time. On for a minimum of 10 minutes. Off for a minimum of 10 minutes. This to preserve the compressors life.

Glanced at auberins and saw only 199 second cycling.... :(

Anyone know the best PID for this?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU:tank:

Why do you think a minimum compressor-on time is important wrt compressor life?

If you can get past that concern there are a number of controllers that will do just fine...

Cheers!

Stc 1000 of course would be the answer. But it does only min off time.

I agree, I don't think it has to do with min run time

Sent from myPhone

Minimum on doesn't seem like a big concern. Minimum off however... If your off time is long enough, 10+ minutes, then the temp will swing enough that the compressor will stay on for several minutes. I don't think that you want a PID algorithm controller your keezer. A few degree temp swing in the air temp is fine. As long as the beer stays fairly steady you'll be fine!

[...]A few degree temp swing in the air temp is fine. As long as the beer stays fairly steady you'll be fine!

Exactly.

For illustration of that point I'll offer up a plot of the temperatures in and around my keezer over the last twelve hours to show you can hold kegs of beer within +/- .75°F of target (while observing rather wild swings in the interior air temperature) and still have a lengthy cycle time (peak to peak it's running around 2:35 right now - and it's only that short because six of the seven kegs are around a quarter full).

This is managed by a $12 single-stage MH1210 controller available from numerous sources. I don't think there's reason to get any more exotic than that...

Cheers!

keezer_chart_05sep2014.jpg

Back