Seeking recipe recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been lurking for a few weeks as I put together my first ever brew with a Brooklyn Brewing kit. I did their Oatmeal Stout, and had my first bottle of it last night. I have to say I'm happy with how it came out. For anyone not familiar, it's an all-grain process using a 1-gallon carboy for that kit.

In the meantime, I've ordered some ingredients with the intention of putting together a basic IPA or similar. I'm looking for some guidance regarding ingredient quantities, and whether my temperatures/times on the stove should vary from the stout that I've done already. What I have on hand is as follows:

-Milled 2-row malt
-Cascade and East Kent Golding hops
-Briess Golden Light DME
-Dextrose priming sugar
-Safale US-05 yeast

If anyone has a 1-gallon recipe they could direct me to which would utilize what I have on hand, that would be much appreciated. There is clearly a lot of knowledge on this forum, and I would appreciate the help.

James

Try this for a 1 gallon batch. This assumes 70% efficiency on your mash.

1.25 lb (.57 kg) of 2 row mashed at 152F (66.6C) for 60 minutes in .75 gallons (2.84L) of water. If you're doing this in a bag then sparge it with hot water (pour over method) to your boil volume and squeeze the excess out. Add .75lb (.34 kg) of the DME with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Hop schedule:

.25 oz (7 g) cascade at 20 minutes
.25 oz (7 g) cascade at 10 minutes
.5 oz (14 g) cascade at 5 minutes
.5 oz (14 g) cascade at flameout

Dryhop with cascade if you wish (0.5 - 1 oz should be fine)

OG : 1.065
FG : 1.011
SRM : 4.7
IBU : 56
ABV: ~7%

Use the EKG for an english beer

This is just a quick thrown together recipe with what you have. I love cascade beers so this should be good in my book.

EDIT: Metric added for Canada and everyone else

Thanks very much for taking the time to post that, I think I'll give it a shot. A couple quick questions if you don't mind:

What would you recommend as a sugar at bottling, and in what quantity?

My last batch called for two weeks in the primary, then two more weeks in the bottle before refrigeration. Should that work for this application as well?

How much of the US-05 yeast would you recommend? The package recommends 11.5g in 20-30L, so would I just scale this as with other ingredients?

James

Just to let you know, it's best to quote my original reply so that I'll see that you replied to me when I log in. Otherwise if I never came back to this thread I wouldn't know that you were asking me this question. As far as your questions:

You can use any sugar you want including malt extract. Different types of sugar require different amounts for the same carbonation level. Try using a carbonation calculator like this one : http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

It gives the amount for table sugar, corn sugar and malt extract (DME). For the volume of CO2 aim for somewhere around 2.5. You'll notice there's a temperature field in there. That should be the temperature it was fermented at. Read the section on temperature at the bottom of the page for other situations like cold crashing.

TIME: I used to do 2 weeks but noticed that my beer took a while longer to get even better. I keg so I can be drinking it within a week after racking to the keg. You notice the 'greenness' of the beer a lot more in this situation since you don't have to wait a few weeks for carbonation to happen. I've since started letting it sit 3 weeks in primary. You can leave it 2 weeks in the bottle and try one to see if they're done. Make sure to chill your test bottle for at least a day so that the CO2 can dissolve into the beer correctly. Since you're brewing a small amount I won't give you the ear beating about checking the gravity twice three days apart. For 'most' beers 3 weeks will get you to FG. Do check it at least once at the end of fermentation to make sure it's down where you think it should be (around 1.01-1.012 in this case). It could end a tad higher due to the DME you're using so take that into account also.

As far as the yeast you could use 1/4 of a pack. Just make sure that when you save the rest you keep it sealed up well and refrigerated. You can fold the pack over on itself and wrap it tight in some saran wrap. If you have a scale it will be much easier to measure out 1/4 of a packet. It would be a little under 3 grams. There's no harm in just using half of the yeast either.

Back