Secondary Regulator Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yohoe

Reaction score
Good morning fellow brewers!

Has anyone had a leak from their secondary regulator out of the holes next to the knobs? (see video https://youtu.be/prlQ7YKHf_U) How does this get fixed?

I am loosing about 20 psi in each valve over a 6-8 hour period so the bubbles and the loss seem likely comparable.

After two weeks of trying to find leaks, I finally said "screw it" and submerged the whole thing in water as starsan + water and commercial leak finder didn't work. I had it submerged for ten minutes and the only places I kept seeing bubbles were from the holes next to the knobs. I believe it's reasonable to think all areas will be filled with water in 10 minutes and as I could not find any other bubbles, this is the logical point.

For some background, I have had this secondary regulator for about three years and haven't had an issue until I moved, which I have had an issue ever since.

There's quite a bit of volume inside the bonnet, but if there's CO2 leaking there it's due to a defective - or poorly sealed at the edges - diaphragm. It's the diaphragm (and its seal against the regulator body - not the bonnet) that has CO2 behind it.

There are inexpensive rebuild kits available for name-brand regulators that will include the diaphragm. It's not difficult to rebuild a regulator...

Cheers!

Back