Leaking Perlick Tower Shank: Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Positronic_Matrix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a three-tap Perlick tower a decade back and found that the bottom of the three taps had a leak. At the time, because the tap was underneath the two, I simply avoided using it. I had assumed that there was something that was loose and upon a rebuild I would explore the issue. That rebuild happened today!

Unfortunately, while testing, I discovered that the leak still remained, despite me rebuild. Because the leak changed locations and I was confident I assembled everything correctly, I immediately suspected defective hardware.

Upon disassembly, I discovered that the tower shank was leaking. If I looked closely I could see a gap in the brazing that joins the shank to the barb. It was indeed defective.

I plan to call Perlick to see if they can assist, however I am several years out of the warranty period. Thus, it would be out of the kindness of their heart if they helped.

Assuming that Perlick will not assist, how can I repair such a component? I assume it would need to be brazed to close the gap. Where would I get such a thing done? Is this a DIY that I can fix with sugru? What would you recommend?

While I am no expert, would you be able to use a home soldering kit to plug the hole? Kinda like sweating copper pipe? Just a thought. Or maybe some plumbers putty? Of course with it being a tap shank maybe using putty would not be the greatest idea as it contacts the beer? I would bet if you called Perlick they will help you out. I have found most of the companies with reps as theirs are usually pretty good about it. Also, maybe a local weld shop and throw a quick fix on it for you? There used to be a place in San Carlos or Belmont that I had a cage welded for a gas tank conversion on an old truck I had. Just thinking out loud LOL. Good luck.

I was able to purchase a Nukatap Tower Shank on sale for only $5.99 at Williams Brewing. I’ll swing by their San Leandro, CA store later this week to pick it up. I’ll still give Perlick a call this coming week as well, as I would prefer to keep the hardware homogeneous.

I was able to purchase a Nukatap Tower Shank on sale for only $5.99 at Williams Brewing. I’ll swing by their San Leandro, CA store later this week to pick it up. I’ll still give Perlick a call this coming week as well, as I would prefer to keep the hardware homogeneous.
I have been meaning to take a ride over there to check it out. I have been to the Morebeer in Palo Alto and it is pretty cool. Nice folks that work there as well.

I can confirm that a Perlick 630SS faucet is compatible with a Nukatap tower shank (D1586). The Nukatap tower shank is slightly shorter than the Perlick tower shank, however it is imperceptible on the tower unless you’re specifically looking for it.

The most amazing thing is that this stainless steel replacement only cost $6. I was able to pick it up from William’s Brewing will call after landing in Oakland airport on return from a business trip. So affordable.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Hom...aucet-Shanks-Shank-Parts/Intertap-Tower-Shank

Back