Secondary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad610

Reaction score
if i transfer my batch from my primary fermenter to a secondary fermenter, is this where i would re-pitch yeast? Also, is there a minimum/maximum time i should leave a batch in the secondary fermenter?

thanks!

I haven't done any re-pitching, though it can be done. Depending on the recipe, I'd leave it in primary at least a week and secondary the same. Experts may say longer but what do they know. Take it from a newbie! :)

No you don't need to pitch yeast into your SECONDARY VESSEL. Secondary fermentation is a misnomer, since no fermentaion SHOULD happen in the secondary. THe secondary is to clear your beer, though many of us no longer use a secondary, but instead opt for the long primary, leaving our beers in primary to clear up, and feel that our beer is much better for it.

If you want to read more about the various ideas about secondary and no secondary and the beliefs about WHEN one should secondary, Read this and the accompanying links in the article, and then you can make up your own mind as to what to do.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/multiple-questions-about-secondary-fermentation-140978/#post1601829

My suggestion is to try different ways and decide what works for you.
:mug:

Back