Secondary Fermentation Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxTheSpy

Reaction score
I've noticed that When I rack from primary into secondary (same size container as the first) I gain headroom because I leave out the sediment on the bottom, Headroom in secondary isn't good from what I hear so is there anything that I can do to take up that room? Could I fill it with a gas of some sort that would displace the air?

I'm thinking the gas off of dry ice might work because its heavier than air but I'm not sure, any input is appreciated. thank You

Top up with sanitized glass marbles, mead, honey water, or deoxygenated water.
I never thought of glass marbles! Thats an excelent idea, I was also thinking about taking a baloon and inflating it inside the carboy on the bottom. I like the marble idea better. I believe they have some at the local brewing shop.

If its not strong enough, I might add some more blueberries and blackberries in secondary.

if I am making the same mead I have previously made, I just open a bottle from the previous batch and use that to top up.
Thats awesome. I try something different every time, though I do keep very deailed notes on how to recreate. There is always soemthing new I want to try and take on. I want to do a chocolate raspberry mead but Im not sure how to achieve that.

Thats awesome. I try something different every time, though I do keep very deailed notes on how to recreate. There is always soemthing new I want to try and take on. I want to do a chocolate raspberry mead but Im not sure how to achieve that.
i do a lot of my variations on secondary. I start with a sack mead and then rack it onto raspberries, spices, mint, or whatever. So I always try and keep a few bottles of sack mead I can use to top up when I do that.

Flat marbles works. As mentioned if you have CO2 from dry ice or CO2 cylinder for a keg that works pretty well and my preferred option just be sure to give it a few good spurts from the cylinder to clear the space and replace the air. If secondary and or adding fruit then some fermentation even though a small amount still may be taking place and if that is the case then just pop an airlock on it and let it create its own CO2.

Flat marbles works. As mentioned if you have CO2 from dry ice or CO2 cylinder for a keg that works pretty well and my preferred option just be sure to give it a few good spurts from the cylinder to clear the space and replace the air. If secondary and or adding fruit then some fermentation even though a small amount still may be taking place and if that is the case then just pop an airlock on it and let it create its own CO2.
What if I pop a dime sized piece of dry ice directly into the mead? It would add air and bubble out of the airlock

Dry ice is probably not food grade and if you use glass it may sink to the bottom and crack the fermenter from thermal stress. Not sure if it would damage plastic.

Dry ice is probably not food grade and if you use glass it may sink to the bottom and crack the fermenter from thermal stress. Not sure if it would damage plastic.
I didnt think of thermal issues. Ill have to get some glass marbles and use that to raise the level then use the dry ice gas to top it off

Back