Second Keg and Beer not right.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel30

Reaction score
I put my keg in the fridge on a Friday night and put the CO2 at about 10 psi. I tried the beer last night and it was not even close. I realize that it should probably take longer to carbonate if the psi is that low, but I am getting impatient. So last night I pulled the keg out, turned the pressure to 30 and realized that the lid was not completely sealed. I pulled the lid, reajusted it and got a good seal. Then I tried to force carbonate. I shook the keg for about 15 minutes then tried it again. It was still not carbonated. The beer tasted great when I kegged it, but now it is very sweet tasting and does not seem to have any carbonation. What am I doing wrong. I wasted half of a batch of beer last time and I really don't want to waste another. Any suggestions?

At 10psi and serving temps, it'll take about 1.5-2 weeks to carb up. Longer if your lid didn't have a good seal.

I'm not well versed in the shake carb method, but I'm not sure 15 mins at 30 psi is really enough. I did try the 30-40 psi for 24 hours to try and quick carb, and honestly, it tasted NASTY. The carb really wasn't sunk into the beer and dissipated very quickly after 10 minutes in the glass. It had a real wicked "bite" to it (probably from the co2 not being completely dissolved in solution). After setting it back to serving pressure for 2 weeks everything was back to normal.

I'd bleed the keg and set it back to serving temp and RDWHAHB for a week or two before worrying about it.

I put it back in the fridge last night at 30 psi and let it set. So you are telling me that I need to drop the pressure back down to serving pressure (which is what? 10 psi?) and let it set longer? The fridge is at approximately 42 degrees (I know from my secondary cold crash). Does it need to be colder? Warmer? Thanks for your help.

How did you waste a half keg of beer carbing it last time?

I'm sorry, but as a home brewer, you need to learn to be more patient. Set it and forget it for 10 days (assuming the lid sealed) and the beer will be carb'd. Once you get the first one going, you can keep the pipeline running so you don't run dry.

I probably did not have to throw it out. But it never really tasted right and I believe it is because I never got it fully carbonated. I understand that I need to be patient and I am trying to be with this keg. I currently only have one keg and I am out of Home Brew (due to my lack of brewing for far too long) and just really want to drink some home brew. I just hear stories of how easy it is to keg and how quickly it carbonates and mine does not seem to be following in line. I will not be throwing out this batch, I am just going to have to leave it on the CO2 for longer.

Back