Second Brew Going Better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmynuts

Reaction score
This was my second brew: Dead Ringer IPA extract kit from Norther Brewer. Estimated OG 1.064. Just wanted to post how it went, compare and contrast it with some of the things I did with my first brew, and get any thoughts you might have.

The first major difference was I tried keeping notes from beginning to end, which I now realize is easier said than done. I didn't log anything for my first cook. Just what time the yeast was pitched, how long till there was visible activity in the fermenter, and a couple gravity readings. I need to work on my technique for taking notes. I just printed out a paper with places to log times, temps, amounts, etc. But it's all very jumbled. Does anyone have any suggestions for simplifying this?

I steeped my grains at a lower temperature for this cook after watching a few videos and doing some reading. The kit instructions tell you to steep at 175F, which I did for the first batch. I kept the temperature between 150-155F for this one. I also used a laser temperature gun to compare with the gauge on my boil kettle. The kettle consistently read 3-5F higher than the reading I was getting with the laser. I was just curious. Any thoughts on steeping temperatures?

The recipe called for all of the LME to be added at one time. I had read on HBT somewhere that you can supersaturate your wort if you are doing a partial boil and that your hops can go to waste because of this. So I added the majority of the LME at the beginning of the boil and saved the final 3.15lbs and added it at the 30 minute mark.

Both recipes called for cooling the wart to 100F as quickly as possible. But I had read that it needs to be lower, closer to your fermentation temp. I used a wort chiller last time and was only able to cool it to 80F. I took the temperature of my hose water and, surprise, 81F. So for this batch, I used the wort chiller and also sat the kettle inside a tub full of ice and water. I was able to chill the wort to 70F in 13 minutes! I was pretty excited!

I decided to use a strainer for this batch when transferring the wort to the carboy. I was definitely not expecting as much crap to come out of the brew kettle, so I'm glad I used the strainer. I'm assuming it was remnants of the hops? It looked like a dark brownish/greenish oatmeal. And it clogged up the strainer REALLY fast. I had to pour a little bit through the strainer, stir up the sludge with a spoon to get the wort to pass through it, then dump the strainer and repeat. Is it normal to have that much gunk? And it's better for it not to make it into the carboy, correct?

An interesting thing happened this time when I was topping off with cold water. I had rinsed the carboy out with distilled water after sanitizing with Star San. I know that the Star San shouldn't hurt the beer, but I still wanted to get the majority of it out at least. But the foam seemed to grow exponentially as I was topping off. At the end the foam was coming out the funnel, out around the sides of the funnel, running down the sides of the carboy and all over the floor. Sticky sticky mess. Anyone else have this issue when leaving some suds behind with Star San?

After topping off with cold water the wort temperature was 67F, my target. Much colder than my first batch, in which I followed the recipe and pitched the yeast at 78F. Also I didn't make a starter this time, just rehydrated. The rehydrated yeast was 70F when pitched to 67F wort. I feel better about those temperatures after what happened with the first batch. But once again, I forgot to take a OG reading. I guess dealing with the sticky floor side tracked me. Because I also forgot to aerate! But, I've read enough here about aerating the wort that I'm not too concerned about it. Still wish that I would have remembered...

Fermentation temps have been much more steady this time around. The first batch got as high as 82F, and beyond the max of the fermometer. I didn't know any better. This time I covered the carboy and a pot full of ice that I sit next to it in a cold tshirt. It started to show activity signs in 24 hours. Slow and steady bubbling, as opposed to the first batch which was fast and forceful.

Just wanted to share some of my practices on my second try. Wondering how they might compare to some of yours.

Happy Brewing!

:mug:

When I started brewing, I made a plan in MS Word and recorded things in the same document. Here is one that I copied and pasted: (beware of the wall of text)

Steep Grains (1.6oz Black Patent Malt, 7oz crystal 60, 14oz crystal 10) in 2.5 Gals water @ 155 Degrees for 30 mins
Add 2 Gallons water previously mixed with 1 Lb Pale LME
Bring to boil
When you see the first bubble, start 30 minute timer

21 Mins Remaining - Add .2oz centennial hops and .3oz amarillo hops
15 Minutes Remaining - Add whirlfloc tablet, Add 7.4oz brown sugar
5 Minutes Remaining - .8 oz Centennial Hops and 1oz amarillo hops
At 30 minutes, flame out, remove hops, and add 1 Gallon water previously mixed with 6 Lbs 3oz Pale LME

Cool Wort to 65 Degrees
Transfer to Primary

Aerate wort and Pitch yeast

15 grams of rehydrated us-05
Scale didn't work properly (It wasn't registering additional weight as I added it, but would show the weight when I removed the container from the scale). Instead of 15 grams yeast, I believe it got about 17g.

Brew notes:
original gravity (1.057)

10:00PM 8/22/13 Pitched yeast

6:00AM 8/23/13 Woke up to an active airlock. Bubbles every 20-40 seconds. (66 degrees)
1:00PM 8/23/13 Krausen just starting to form. Bubbles every 15 seconds. (65 degrees)
6:30PM 8/23/13 Heading to work. Airlock is very busy, bubbling nearly constantly (65 degrees)

8:00AM 8/24/13 Back from work. Airlock is very busy, bubbling nearly constantly (65 degrees)

7:00AM 8/25/13 Airlock is just barely showing signs of slowing. Still nearly constantly. (66 degrees)
3:00PM 8/25/13 Took a reading of the beer’s internal temp. Carboy shows 66-68 degrees, and internal temp shows 68-69. All previous and subsequent temps are/will be carboy temp.
8:00AM 8/26/13 Visibly slowing down. Bubbling every 10 seconds. (66 degrees)
6:00PM 8/26/13 Bubbling every 10-15 seconds. (66 degrees) I do notice that if I remove the bung and get a good whiff of the beer, I don’t get the bitter hop hit that I’ve noticed on previous brews. This could be an indication that it will be very underhopped, or an indication of the desired hop flavor without the harsh bitterness – time will tell!
6:00PM 8/27/13 Bubbling every 10-15 seconds (66 degrees). Floral aroma from beer, but not bitter. Krausen showing no signs of falling.
10:00PM 8/29/13 Racked to secondary. Measured SG at 1.011. Tasted ok, but I had already been drinking a finished beer so my palate wasn’t terribly accurate.

10:00AM 9/8/13 Gravity is still 1.011. Tastes good. Good aroma and very smooth. No bitter aftertaste at all.
6:00PM 9/8/13 Added Gelatin
10:00AM 9/13/13 Bottled up

Latest posts

Back