Seattle to San Diego - best breweries? Other attractions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm taking a road trip from Seattle WA to San Diego CA during the last two weeks of June. I would love some input on what breweries are fun to visit and other things to do on the way. I'm from Pennsylvania and have never been that far West.

I'm into IPA's, and a really big fan of barrel aged sours (and any beer that's really excellently brewed).
Also into hiking - plan on hiking Half Dome in Yosemite on the way.

Any awesome people that could give me some tips? I would really appreciate it!

(already purchased tickets to SN Beer Camp LA!!! Really looking forward to that. Maybe see you there?)

ASC :tank:

Take the 101 from Portland, OR along the coast. In Coos Bay you can stop at 7 Devil's Brewery. They've really done an amazing job and have given back to the community in a big way. Lots of hiking and sites to see all along the coast as well.

When you hit Eureka there are no less than 4 breweries to chose from, as well as the Trinity Alp to hike and climb, and raft the Trinity River.

Sounds awesome. Road trips rock. I can't help with sours, but in terms of IPAs, some smaller breweries with limited distribution that I like are:

- Knee Deep in Auburn (beat Pliny in an east bay DIPA fest/tasting),
- Beachwood in Long Beach
- Rip Current in San Marcos (GABF best small brewery 2015)
- Alpine in east county San Diego (I know Dogfish Head could stake a claim but I believe Alpine is one of the first to hop burst their IPAs).

Also, this might not be popular, but Saint Archer always seems to have something interesting and very limited on cask (last time I was there it was their Mosaic DIPA with grapefruit). Everything they do is spot on IMO. I'm a huge fan of their brewers.

Hit me up when you get to SD and we can go grab a pint. The San Diego staples (stone, ballast point, green flash, etc) are good, but there's some even better smaller ones here.

Also, start looking into getting a permit for half dome now. That being said, I think Yosemite falls/el cap are beautiful hikes as well (source: been to Yosemite every summer since I was a kid and have hiked half dome 7 times :D)

Thanks for all the input everyone! Daksin I'll message you if we're going to be around for sure! Kev211 thanks for the tip on getting the half dome permit - I have to get on that quickly. Would love to get a pint with you, I'll message when we're close.

I'll post after the trip and let you know how it goes!

Bend, OR. There are a ton of great breweries but Crux and Boneyard are two must-do's IMO.

Russian River, CA - Pliny on tap. Need I Say more?

Paso Robles, CA - Firestone Walker/Barrelworks.
San Luis Obispo - Libertine

And so many others - but these pop to mind.

Back