Seagram's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Someone gifted us with a bottle of Seagram's a few months ago.

I thanked them profusely, of course.

Now, what in the heck do I do with it? I don't normally have any items with sugar or sweeteners in the house, but I could buy some if it would keep to offer guests.

I don't eat sugar, honey, juice, or artificial sweeteners. But if something would last a long time in the cupboard, I could buy something if it was a single serving size for guests- like a can of coke or something.

So, a guest shows up and I want to offer them a drink. If they don't drink beer, I have mezcal (?), Seagrams and Malibu Rum. But I have no idea what to put in that stuff to make it drinkable.

Seagrums and 7 UP, rum and Coke and tequila straight up were the staples at the "shot and a beer" bars back in Western PA.

Yup. 7n7 was the first thing that came to mind at the bar when we 1st turned 21. Ginger ale is also pretty good. You can also add it to a dark bbq sauce that isn't too spicy for beef or ribs. A touch of it on salmon bbq ain't bad either.

BTW, Mezcal is Tequila. To it you add a shot glass to make it drinkable.

Might as well throw out the Malibu. They ruined that rum before it got to the bottle. Nothing else you add there will make it drinkable.

Might as well throw out the Malibu. They ruined that rum before it got to the bottle. Nothing else you add there will make it drinkable.

Malibu is emergency booze. When you've drunk all else, a little Dr. Pepper and you're back on your way.

Yeah Seagram's makes a TON of products, even wine coolers (shudder).

Assuming that Yoopa' got a bottle of Seagram's 7, 7n7 is the way to go. My dad loved that stuff coming back from church on Sunday, while cooking his bacon & eggs. I can't stomach it myself though.

You could always cook with it. Like a Rum baba but with S7 instead.

Lots of recipes out there too for egg nog, punch, etc.

MC

Honestly, Seagrams is just too sweet even for me. Don't you have a daughter or somebody that you could regift to? I can't think of a single thing that's going to make that stuff palatable to you.

If Revvy dislikes Seagrams as well, I will have enough empirical evidence to suggest that Michigan as a state might have a regional, cultural palate of its own.

I bought a bottle of very good mezcal when I was in Oaxaca a number of years ago. I like it- it's smoky, in a "Scotch" kind of way. But I haven't had much of it at all, as I don't drink hard stuff very often. It's not really tequila-like at all. I know it's the same plant, but it's the smoked root of the agave or something like that.

If Revvy dislikes Seagrams as well, I will have enough empirical evidence to suggest that Michigan as a state might have a regional, cultural palate of its own.

Well, I know that I technically live in Michigan, but Yoopers are more Wisconsites than Michigan residents. We're not even in the same time zone as the rest of Michigan here.

As such, we drink "soda" and brandy is THE hard liquor. Bob has a shot of brandy every evening in his coffee, and if he orders a mixed drink, it's a Brandy Oldfashioned. Brandy is WAY too sweet for me, and I won't touch it.

Ahh... shows my ignorance even though I married into a Michigan family. Hehe. They didnt teach me too much about you Yoopers, seeing as how they are born and bred "Trolls".

Unrelated: my wife was at a local picking up some rum for me and they were sampling out Black Velvet with caramel. Instant hook!

Never liked Seagram's much.

Back