Screwball Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidgerbil

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here is my first attempt at brewing a Kolsch, the choice of yeast and hops was inspired by Pyramid Curveball, and the basic formulation of the recipe was inspired by the Long Trail Kolsch clone recipe in "North American Clone Brews".
Some information about Curveball ...
Pyramid aging times ...
Pyramid yeast strains ...

4# Briess Pilsen Light LME
1# Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
1# Briess Carapils
1# Briess White Wheat
5 AAU Vanguard
5 AAU Perle
Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale

Any thoughts from anyone?

I've done a few Kolsch beers, and all I have to say is keep your fermentation temp below 62ºF.

I've never used any of those hops so I can't say much more than that., but looks like a good recipe.

Have fun

Are you sure you want to use ESB Ale yeast for Kolsch? I'd use German Kolsch, the only disadvantage is that it needs time to settle down but has very nice flavor profile.

BTW, Thanks for the interesting article.

AdIn said:
Are you sure you want to use ESB Ale yeast for Kolsch? I'd use German Kolsch, the only disadvantage is that it needs time to settle down but has very nice flavor profile.

BTW, Thanks for the interesting article.

Well, in the interview that I have the link to, it is said that Pyramid uses a british ale yeast for their Curveball, so I looked over the Wyeast yeast strains, picked a few that I liked the profile for, and then went to my LHBS to see what they had in stock.

rabidgerbil said:
Well, in the interview that I have the link to, it is said that Pyramid uses a british ale yeast for their Curveball, so I looked over the Wyeast yeast strains, picked a few that I liked the profile for, and then went to my LHBS to see what they had in stock.

Try it this way with the ESB Yeast , then next week do the same batch but use White labs Kolsch yeast, and ferment at 62º. Kolsch yeast adds a lager flavor profile with out having to be Lagered.

I guess I had one too many Celebration Ales last night and totally over looked that you were going to use an ESB yeast, but you should test it out and post your results, It would be good to know.

Back