Scottish Wee Heavy with WLP004

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacecowboy13

Reaction score
Got a few different extract kits for Christmas after going AG, so I decided to mix and match. I did a partial mash with some 2-row and the specialty grains and used light, amber and dark extracts, both DME and LME. Then took a quart of the first runnings and boiled it for 20 minutes before throwing it in the BK. when it was all said and done, I pitched it on top of a cake with WLP004. What can I expect from using the Irish Ale yeast instead of a Scottish Ale one?

You will end up with a scottish of some sort or a scotch ale depending on the hops, gravity and fermentation, this is the yeast from Guinness and should work great with all that darker malt. If it is higher gravity you will want to "condition" it quite a while and you may want to ramp up to a diacetyl rest, before conditioning/clearing, although if I remember correctly some diacetyl is acceptable in the BJCP guidelines.

From White Labs:
WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast
This is the yeast from one of the oldest stout producing breweries in the world. It produces a slight hint of diacetyl, balanced by a light fruitiness and slight dry crispness. Great for Irish ales, stouts, porters, browns, reds and a very interesting pale ale.
Attenuation: 69-74%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
(18-20°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

Back