Scottish Ale temp questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wahpedal

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

Scottish Ale is a style that I really like and I want to try my hand at brewing one at home. However, I read that most beers of this style are "cellared" at colder than usual temps for an ale, somewhere in the 50s temp range, after primary fermentation has ceased.

I am at the mercy of the basement when it comes to temperature. For the most part the temps are somewhere in the 60s, and fluctuate a little bit depending on time of year, etc. So basically I have to do primary/secondary and leave them to bottle condition at more or less the same temperature, which has never been a problem in the past with other beer styles.

So my question is is it worthwhile to try to make a quality Scottish w/out being able to have the cooler temperatures?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

"So my question is is it worthwhile to try to make a quality Scottish w/out being able to have the cooler temperatures??"

Absolutely yes. I was just reviewing my brewing notes from a brown ale that I had brewed using Wyeast Scottish Ale 1728. I brewed this roughly 2 months ago and it is just beginning to really come into it own. I just kept it at basement temps (normally 63') and it was a very very active yeast at that temp. Montanaandy

Cool! That's good news and what I figured, too. I was going to go ahead and do it anyway. Really excited and hope that it comes out as intedned... Thanks for the reply

Latest posts

Back