Scotch always yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachelS

Reaction score
I am interested in brewing a Scotch ale for the first time. I am pretty sure I've decided on the ingredients, now I need to decide which yeast. I want it to be smooth, Malty, a hint of sweet and a little toasty . I am leaning towards White Labs Edinburgh/Scottish Ale Yeas, or wyeast 1728. The wyeast would Inc. Be easier but I want delicious not easy. Any thoughts?

Scottish Ales are usually fairly clean, with maybe light fruity esters. They are typically fermented a bit colder than normal to get that profile. So, IMO while using a Scottish ale yeast is certainly authentic, Notty works just fine, too.

What kind of Scottish Ale are you doing?

One trick I picked up from Gordon Strong's book is to take about a gallon of your wort and put it in a separate pot, and boil it down to a pint-quart size volume, then re-add it back to your main boil. Gets you a lot of good kettle carmelization.

I never thought of using Nottingham, I will look into that seems doable to me. I want to do the Old Chub Scotch ale, I really enjoy it. I'm not sure if I want it to be as strong and I want it to be a bit heavier feeling. I really like your suggestion about carmelization, I am fairly new to brewing and that is a new process to me.

Back