Score On Some Yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I stopped by the LHBS today just to pick up some hops for some upcoming brews. I checked out the yeast fridge and noticed something that I didn't see before, a shelf with discounted yeast. The only catch was that the "best by" date had expired. I checked out the labels and one was a month past, the other was only about 2 weeks. So I picked up a vial of White Labs 002 English Ale and White Labs 029 German Ale/Kolsch.

I immediately did a starter for each, so I will have plenty of yeast to come! :rockin:

Brewsmith said:
I stopped by the LHBS today just to pick up some hops for some upcoming brews. I checked out the yeast fridge and noticed something that I didn't see before, a shelf with discounted yeast. The only catch was that the "best by" date had expired. I checked out the labels and one was a month past, the other was only about 2 weeks. So I picked up a vial of White Labs 002 English Ale and White Labs 029 German Ale/Kolsch.

I immediately did a starter for each, so I will have plenty of yeast to come! :rockin:

My LHBS uses their expired yeast in-house, and they make some killer beers. I would say to go for it and make a starter.

Well, I did starters on both yesterday. The 002 English Ale is going to town, but there has been no activity on the 029 German/Kolsch. No foaming, no airlock movement, nothing.

I'm going to give it another day or so and if still nothing, I'll chuck it. It's best by date was Jul-30-06, so it shouldn't really be bad if it was stored properly.

I have never used this yeast before, so does anyone else have any suggestions?

I used the Kolsch on my last batch of beer and it has a 27 hour lag time. Give it a day, maybe it will take off. Based on the date, it's only a couple of weeks past.

So I shook it again and it looks o be going, just very slowly. I can see very small bubbles coming up from the yeast on the bottom of the flask but there is no krausen at all. It looks like it should be fine. The yeast count just may be low. I'll probably step it up again when this one ferments out.

Back